"A" Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2016
During this time of year with tryouts and girls jumping from team to team and new teams never heard of before showing up I am noticing the term "A Ball" being used as much as a teenager uses "like". Is it just me or is anyone else seeing it?

Jun 26, 2020
Yes every fastpitch team is an A ball team until you play a legit A ball team of course

Jul 1, 2019
We see the "Looking to play an A schedule" a lot around here during tryout season, then never run into those teams come tourney time.

Apr 20, 2015
Look for their schedule. Local A teams play in their surrounding cities and win. Regional A teams travel to surrounding states and win. National level teams travel across the country and win. Hoping to play an A schedule means our team currently doesn't have the personnel to be an A team but we're hoping for some unicorns at tryouts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting how stuff like this varies by region.

In CA, all travel ball is "A". "B" and "C" designations are for leagues, generally based on historical level of all-star performance.

Apr 28, 2019
During this time of year with tryouts and girls jumping from team to team and new teams never heard of before showin g up I am noticing the term "A Ball" being used as much as a teenager uses "like". Is it just me or is anyone else seeing it?

You can call yourself whatever you want. The reality is most teams are “B” level teams.
“A“ teams by definition are supposed to have better pitching (depth) 3 aces basically and expected to compete for titles every tournament they enter.
“B” teams should be competitive but don’t have the depth especially in the circle to beat Legit “A” teams consistently.
“C” teams are basically Rec Allstar caliber talent/teams that can be competitive with some “B” teams but have no business being on the field with a legit “A” team.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Interesting how stuff like this varies by region.

In CA, all travel ball is "A". "B" and "C" designations are for leagues, generally based on historical level of all-star performance.
Yeah. I have not seen any mention of A team, B team in SoCal at all.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah. I have to seen any mention of A team, B team in SoCal at all.

USA/ASA is the only one who uses the designations, and since they have pretty much disappeared from TB, we don't see it. Back in 10U and first-year 12U, my DD played in ASA "A" State and National tournaments, but nothing since.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478