A Ball Coaches Prayer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
A BALL COACHES PRAYER

Lord, give me the strength to coach this team.

My players stand before me, their eyes all agleam.

Please give me the words to help inspire, so they can reach their goals, higher and higher.

When we stand in our circle for our pre-game cheer, let them know what they must do perfectly clear.

Please help them remember to check for the signs and help them to hit the ball inside the lines.

Please give them the courage to help them win, if they don't play well it is truly a sin.

You know Lord this team has gone a long mile, I want them to all finish with a big smile.

Last but not least Lord, in front of this crowd, help me be a coach that will make my team proud.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Kinda curious here.... I start every game with a team meeting in the outfield, & close the meeting with a short prayer for the girls, umps & spectators. I want the girls to know that we still have the right here in USA & that I am not ashamed of my faith. Am I alone here?

PS> we are (9 & 1) :)

May 7, 2008
Hey JC...no you are no alone. I have a very strong faith, love the Lord, and I am not ashamed to say so. This forum, however, has restricted any conversations outside of fastpitch softball, and I can appreciate that because the rule prevents unnecessary crosstalk and protects the personal views of all members :)

In His Grace,

Ang

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Marc and I (and several others here) were members of a board called the Fastpitch Forum. It was one of the greatest resources around, with very smart and dedicated people who loved the game. We offered opinions, debated, argued etc. all in the spirit of learning and making ourselves and our players/daughters better.

Then one day the Forum lost its way. It degenerated into vicious arguments over politics, religion and other subjects you're not supposed to discuss at a dinner party. Fastpitch people kept dropping out because they couldn't stand what was going on, and it eventually was no more.

We don't want that to happen here. We want this to be a friendly, safe zone for people who love the game -- regardless of their religious beliefs (or lack of them).

That's why we want to keep the discussion strictly to fastpitch-related topics. I'm letting the original prayer stand because I think it's in the spirit of the Forum. But be aware the line is pretty tight. No offense to anyone's beliefs is intended. It's simply for the good of all.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
sorry

Ken, let me apolozize- I mean in no way to start a disruption of your forum. My comment s meant to be understood, that I think our pregame ritual fosters a sense of peace, calms nerves, confidence & helps to focus the girls on the game at hand.

Having said that, I attended the coaches clinic in Cherry Hill this year & the one thing that I brought home as a comment by Georgia coach Scott Whitlock to end the seminar. " Always remember, at the end of the day, its still just a game, there are a lot more important things going on in these girls lives than softball"- my interpretation of that was their physical , emotional & spiritual well being. - Again, sorry if I'm out of line. Lane

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A Ball Players Prayer, by Hal

God grant me wisdom, to tell a strike from a ball,
to know where to throw and never to fall.

Keep me always in the base line, running straight and true
and I'll look for your sign, to stretch one into two.

God give me vision, to see every pitch
so if a player needs help, then I will see which.

Let me always hustle, so I'll be at my best,
take pride in myself, in sports and the rest.

God be my strength, when I throw the ball
when I'm far from home plate, or against a wall.

So I never miss a base, please guide my feet,
bring me home safely, so my job is complete.

When I help younger players, let me always give praise,
so they'll see you in me, in all of my ways.

Please guide our coach, to be fair and smart,
let him teach me to be good, let it come from his heart.

Let me take a loss, just as well as a win,
to do any less, is surely a sin.

As long as I can play, let me make my parents proud,
as proud as I am, when they yell MY name out loud.

However my games end, let me always have fun,
and if Heaven has All Stars, I'd like to be one.

When my games here are over and my seasons are done,
let me play on your team, just like your son.

Amen.

May 7, 2008
Lane:

I wasn't at all offended by your profession, and I strongly agree with you that the athlete must be coached as a whole. I was just trying to help you out in case there was a roaring lion prowling about looking to devour you ;) (by the way...Ken is no where near prowling lion. He is more the kiddie cat kind :). You will find the participants on this forum are very kind, respectful, and knowledgeable. It is a wonderful resource.

I have discovered it has helped me almost as my dd and husband. It is hard being the coach's wife and athlete's mother in the midst of such a wide variety of people.

Glad you're here...

Ang

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
No worries

Ken, let me apolozize- I mean in no way to start a disruption of your forum. My comment s meant to be understood, that I think our pregame ritual fosters a sense of peace, calms nerves, confidence & helps to focus the girls on the game at hand.

Having said that, I attended the coaches clinic in Cherry Hill this year & the one thing that I brought home as a comment by Georgia coach Scott Whitlock to end the seminar. " Always remember, at the end of the day, its still just a game, there are a lot more important things going on in these girls lives than softball"- my interpretation of that was their physical , emotional & spiritual well being. - Again, sorry if I'm out of line. Lane

Lane,

Not a problem. As I said, it's a fine line. I didn't view your comments as a disruption of the forum or anything like that. You shared something you do, not necessarily advocated a position.

It'll be a judgement call every time. As long as it's kept like this, and no one objects, we should be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478