9 year old granddaughter wants to play softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2018
where do I start with her? teach her to catch and throw and some basics on hitting? anyone have any good beginning drills? shes a great athlete (gymnast) but literally has never picked up a glove or ball before (softball) thanks in advance

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Throw and catch first. Start out doing that without a glove. Got a pool? Get some of those spongy pool balls and get to work. No pool? Use a rolled up sock. Show her good throwing form and get to the point where she can catch a firmly thrown ball "strong" with either hand. Once she can do that, playing catch with a glove and softball will be much easier. Fielding grounders and catching fly balls after that.

Some basic hitting work can be done simultaneously. Get a good batting T and net. For the love of all that's holy, don't use a pitching machine until she can hit soft and front toss consistently (90+%). Don't know what I'm talking about? Find a hitting instructor in your area that will work with beginners.

May 6, 2015
start by playing catch with her, lots of catch. make certain she is not turning palm up on anything above the waist (ie basket catching). if at all afraid of the ball, get her a fielding mask. see this thread https://www.discussfastpitch.com/th...ch-young-ones-how-to-catch.30834/#post-425599. get her a decent glove, used preferably, so as to make it easier to squeeze the ball. dont sweat size or quality too much at this point.

as for throwing, worry about mechanics at first rather than speed or distance. get the elbow up, no pushing, no sidearm. lots of stuff out there on that .

beg/borrow/steal a used bat, or buy a cheap walmart softball bat (not a tball bat, a 9 year old will dent it), beg/borrow/steal/McGyver a tee (tall traffic cones will work). u can even use wiffle balls for this. then move onto some side toss if she is getting it off the tee. lots of swing reps, but do not allow bad habits. you can find a garage wall or fence at first, especially if with wiffles, eventually you will need a net though.

for this fall, get her into a fall league, and keep her down as low as they will allow age wise, since she is a novice. make certain she gets a coach who knows proper basic mechanics, and who is committed to develpping players (which is what fall rec league is supposed to be for primarily). run from coaches who talk about winning, your DGD will sit.

good coaches will love a player like your DGD, no bad habits to break, and likely eager to learn.

after fall rec/developmental season, reevaluate her desire and progression.

good luck, build some great memories, and keep us posted!

Jun 26, 2019
One thing to add:
One person mentioned soft toss after they get it off the tee, while that is good amd I agree with it dont stop using a tee completely. Use a tee each time you get a bat out, or a skillz hit stick or simalor.

May 11, 2014
This may not be popular but I suggest you teach her a short swing now(I've started watching eri yamada's hitting drills video on YouTube). Just watched our middle school get 1 hit in 2 games because they have long swings, like they trying to rope a cow.

Oct 14, 2020
Teach her to hit lefthanded. There is next to no disadvantage to it and if she's fast she'll become a slapper that much more easily.

Jun 11, 2013
get her in a rec league and start working on throwing and catching. Hitting will come but as long as she can catch she'll be ok to start out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812