8U vs 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
What does the 10U look like? Can kids catch? Do the pitcher's throw a strike once in a while??

After her second year at 8U I decided to have my DD play up into 10U TB because she was getting bored. However I would not have done that if the option was 10U Rec since that would have been even more boring....For the most part, 10U TB is a decent level of play in particular if you don't avoid playing second year 10U teams as a 1st year team..

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
The reality at that age is that kids don't really get much better playing in games. The pitching is too inconsistent, and many girls are still learning the rules. If you go into 10U hoping to see your daughter get lots of reps fielding balls at 3B, you're going to be disappointed. She won't see a whole lot of strikes at the plate, either.

The real improvement happens during practice, and you should find that you can challenge 10U girls at practice more than 8U, especially if many are just moving up from T-ball. Kids at that age are sensitive about age differences as well. Your daughter will probably feel better about herself and her skills if she's playing with the older girls and not the younger ones. Finally, if her friends and teammates are moving up, she'll want to stay with them.

The only advantage to staying is that she gets to be the big kid on the team, and hopefully develop some leadership skills. At 8U though, leadership can be a little like herding cats :)
I disagree about the getting better in games statement. The skills come in practice, but they get better at the game, by playing the game. 8U is glorified practice. An example I can think of regarding getting better in games vs practice, last year my DD played rec basketball. In the half dozen or so practices the girls worked on dribbling, shooting, passing, etc. Huge improvements in a short time with a group that had little to no BB experience. First game of the season they get on the court and they literally had no idea how to play the game. None. They got beat 55-4 even with the tallest girl on the court by a good 8". The girls get a few games under their belt and play the same team again and they lose 26-18.

My point is, understanding the game is just as, or more important to being a good player than the individual skills. The best place to get the understanding is in games.

Page, as far as your DD not always making the right play, that's fine. She shouldn't always make the right play. When I asked if she could make the plays I meant, can she make the throw from 3rd to 1st. I mean her best throw. If the answer is yes, I'd lean toward moving up. THe throw she can make 1 in 10 now, she'll make 8 in 10 in June.

Jan 13, 2020
All but 2 of her friends have to move up bc they are already 9. The difference between 8U/10U is coach pitch vs kid pitch. She was one of the better ones on her team last year... really good hitter, played 3rd base and did really well at stopping the ball but didn’t always make the right play. So part of me thinks she could develop more infield skills and confidence by staying back but hitting wise she’s more than ready to move up.
Move her up with her friends. Just work with her and get her more reps on the infield at every position. Also do the same for the outfield. Make practice fun and she will thrive.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
8U is a ton of fun. Coach pitch so all the girls get to hit the ball. Plenty of grounders to work on fielding skills.

10U is a bore. Most girls can't pitch so most girls walk. Most catchers are lousy so the first two pitches will result in the girl easily strolling to third base. Another passed ball and they score. Rinse, repeat, hit the max run limit for the inning, and you're done.

So that's the worst case scenario, and hopefully you've watched enough games at your league to know if you're on track for a 10U year like that. And if so, stay in 8U.

If this is travel, or the league has good players and good pitchers, moving up to 10U makes sense.

Yes I believe it will be a bore too bc of pitching. This is league play, not travel team.

Oct 4, 2018
What does the 10U look like? Can kids catch? Do the pitcher's throw a strike once in a while??

After her second year at 8U I decided to have my DD play up into 10U TB because she was getting bored. However I would not have done that if the option was 10U Rec since that would have been even more boring....For the most part, 10U TB is a decent level of play in particular if you don't avoid playing second year 10U teams as a 1st year team..

Agreed.

We had some brutal beat-downs playing as a first year 10U team against some of the best 10U teams in our region. Yikes, the difference in the level of play was tremendous.

Feb 10, 2020
The reality at that age is that kids don't really get much better playing in games. The pitching is too inconsistent, and many girls are still learning the rules. If you go into 10U hoping to see your daughter get lots of reps fielding balls at 3B, you're going to be disappointed. She won't see a whole lot of strikes at the plate, either.

The real improvement happens during practice, and you should find that you can challenge 10U girls at practice more than 8U, especially if many are just moving up from T-ball. Kids at that age are sensitive about age differences as well. Your daughter will probably feel better about herself and her skills if she's playing with the older girls and not the younger ones. Finally, if her friends and teammates are moving up, she'll want to stay with them.

The only advantage to staying is that she gets to be the big kid on the team, and hopefully develop some leadership skills. At 8U though, leadership can be a little like herding cats :)

This is league play not travel team and one other thing I forgot to mention, we have a great coach at 8U and only a couple of parents putting a team together for 10U.

Feb 10, 2020

Feb 10, 2020

This is league not travel ball so I’m sure 10U looks shaky with the exception of a team or two that also do TB. My daughter plays 3rd and last season could make the throw to 1st on a good day but not always. Also we have a great coach at 10U but really young players (6-7 year olds) but just a couple of parents putting a team together for 10U so there’s that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28