8u players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Trying to project a softball player's potential at eight years old is a fool's errand. We've all seen middling players blossom and dominant players who just fade away.

The most important thing you can do at 8U is to focus on fundamentals and keep the game fun. I coached town travel (mostly rec all-stars) from 8U through 12U, and I am much more proud of the fact that ~85% of the girls I coached are still playing than I am at having identified any budding superstars.

May 29, 2015
I think that is a great measure Rick. That may be because it was always one I used when I coached. Granted it was “just rec” but I always shook my head at coaches that were replenishing 60-70% of their team every year. We may not have won as many games, but my players kept coming back. Must have been doing something right.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Trying to project a softball player's potential at eight years old is a fool's errand. We've all seen middling players blossom and dominant players who just fade away.

The most important thing you can do at 8U is to focus on fundamentals and keep the game fun. I coached town travel (mostly rec all-stars) from 8U through 12U, and I am much more proud of the fact that ~85% of the girls I coached are still playing than I am at having identified any budding superstars.

THIS ^^^ !!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog