8U-how many innings per day for pitchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 13, 2022
Hi all
I’m coaching 8U travel ball
Tournament rules limit pitcher to 2 innings per game. We have three games on Saturdays and up to three (single elimination) on Sundays. Should I limit my 8 year old pitchers to 4 innings per day? 5? I have four pitchers but only one is great, one is good, two are okay (learning), and another two first year 8s that I’m developing
TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Please forgive the snark - but are you in California?

There aren’t many 8U kid-pitch tournaments on the East Coast - ok - maybe in FL?

I’d go off the number of pitches. Your better pitcher can probably throw each game, IF by better you mean more accurate, with the assumption being that accuracy = throwing less pitches per inning.

I kind of like the inning limit from a competitive standpoint. If nothing else, as it looks like your doing, it forces coaches to actually develop their pitchers, and not ride noodle-arm Nancy until her arm falls off.

I’ll also assume you’re playing at least 4 innings per game? You’ll likely need to throw all 4 each day anyway, or at least on Saturday.

It’s 8U - while it should be ALL about development - I don’t think anyone’s going to accuse you of trophy hunting if come Sunday / bracket play, you only use the top 3, instead of all 4.

I’d even make all the girls do basic pitching drills during practice - you never know who might have a hidden talent, or catch the pitching bug next.

Jan 22, 2011
Back 10 years ago most 8u tournaments in Northern California had a rule that a pitcher couldn't pitch more than 2 innings a game but could pitch 1 more inning if the game went more than 4 innings. Looks like except for "rec" divisions in 8u tournaments the Southern California mania has infected the "C" 8u rules and there are no limits on pitcher innings per game.

My goal in tournaments has always been to go 2-1 on Saturdays and play 2 on Sundays. I probably would lean towards no more than 5 innings a day in 8u, maybe 6 on Sunday.

I coached the 8u All-Star team when my DD was 7 and felt my duty was to a) Develop pitchers for next year's 10u rec season so girls have pitchers to hit off of and b) Prepare them for success in High School. 11 of the 48 High Schools that made CCS play-offs have girls I've coached and/or my DD played with, so I think I contributed some to that. 3 of those teams are playing for a section championship tomorrow.

My first 8u tournament I won, but almost had a parent revolt on my hands when I followed the 2-inning rule in a tournament without that rule. Girls' bats bailed me out. We came in 2nd in the silver division of another tournament that summer and I almost didn't pick up the trophy but did. No idea where the trophy wound up.

Daughter is still annoyed at me for only pitching me 1 inning in a friendly as a first year 8u because I was trying to develop 4 or 5 other pitchers for 10u the next year, even though in second year 8u she had several sub 2:30 innings. I posted a video of that and @sluggers told me to calm down and let her have fun until she went through puberty.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2015

There aren’t many 8U kid-pitch tournaments on the East Coast - ok - maybe in FL?

I’d go off the number of pitches. Your better pitcher can probably throw each game, IF by better you mean more accurate, with the assumption being that accuracy = throwing less pitches per inning.

I kind of like the inning limit from a competitive standpoint. If nothing else, as it looks like your doing, it forces coaches to actually develop their pitchers, and not ride noodle-arm Nancy until her arm falls off.

I’ll also assume you’re playing at least 4 innings per game? You’ll likely need to throw all 4 each day anyway, or at least on Saturday.

It’s 8U - while it should be ALL about development - I don’t think anyone’s going to accuse you of trophy hunting if come Sunday / bracket play, you only use the top 3, instead of all 4.

I’d even make all the girls do basic pitching drills during practice - you never know who might have a hidden talent, or catch the pitching bug next.

None in FL. Has to be CA.

Apr 14, 2022
Hi all
I’m coaching 8U travel ball
Tournament rules limit pitcher to 2 innings per game. We have three games on Saturdays and up to three (single elimination) on Sundays. Should I limit my 8 year old pitchers to 4 innings per day? 5? I have four pitchers but only one is great, one is good, two are okay (learning), and another two first year 8s that I’m developing
TIA

Good luck. I would say 4-6 per pitcher on the weekend. You have to be careful 50 pitch innings may happen.

Nov 13, 2022

Yes, California lol
We have several divisions of 8s…
8U-comp
8U-C
8U-B
8U open and
8Urec (which is what we’re playing)
It’s not rec, it’s still comp/travel ball but there’s no stealing and coach inherits the count if four balls are thrown so there’re no walkfests

We made it to the championship game at last week’s tournament and my two top pitchers’ arms were tired (six games in two days) so I didn’t use them

On Saturday pool play, I move the girls around, infield/outfield and let lesser developed pitchers try but on Sunday bracket-single elimination play, I put them all at their best positions

My top pitcher is 8 years old, just finished 2nd grade, and throws 40 mph

I had her on to pitch last inning tonight (first game of tournament) for “open inning”-earlier innings have run limits, but we played a team that were mostly just moved up 6Us
I didn’t let her pitch 40 mph to those little girls…put a girl who is a developing pitcher in-she was happy and we still won easily, my top pitcher though broke down in tears because she was expecting to pitch and didn’t understand why I didn’t want her throwing against that team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802