8 yo that just move to the left

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I'm a little nervous about posting in here but what can it hurt. My 8 yo DD just moved to the left has been playing for less than a year, but doing amazing. Has a work ethic that could rival the Amish. This is from 2 weeks ago already looking better wish I had video from last night where she was getting great back foot release. Just curious what you guys see. https://youtu.be/CFAWuZTI6Qw

May 12, 2008
Good start. Swing plane is tilted forward. Needs to be parallel to the shoulder rotation plane. Here's some reference guides. Analysis

College coaches love a versatile left sider. Only caution is to go over there and stay over there. Don't switch back and forth. Always remember, what the sport does for the parent child relationship is more important than the level of success she achieves. Keep up the good work.

May 12, 2008
Why did you move her to lefty? What's the goal?

He will obviously have to answer the goal question but I'd take the chance to affirm their decision. If you are talking about a kid who will be able to run, (a little or a lot) being able to drive the ball AND play a left side short game makes you a very prized commodity.

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
I had a 12U girl who couldn't hit to save her life from the right side. A late in the season practice I told her to hit from the left side. I got the weird look and the questions from the parents. But at the next game, boom hits out of nowhere from the left side. She couldn't be happier.

Sometimes it just a different POV and things begin to click. Same thing happened to me when I was younger. Switched over to the left, I could see the ball better, etc. Still feels weird to bat lefty though.

During my DD time in T-Ball she would want to hit from the left. After a few times, she would take a few seconds to decide switch side to hit from. I need to get her in the cage and see where she feels comfortable at. The season is approaching!!

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
The reason for the move to the left is that she is fast. Will start working on slapping once she can master the swing. With her being this young and no major bad habits hoping it will be a fairly smooth process.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
g1e0b.gif

I recommend starting with adjusting her sequence. She's currently using an all-back/all-forward shift. If you can get her sequence sorted out at this early age, it will serve her very well as she continues to progress in the game.

This is something I didn't make enough of a priority with my DD when we started the process of improving her mechanics (primarily due to my ignorance and distraction with other aspects of the swing), and it's still not totally sorted out.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just curious rdbass with that bat path will it affect the ability to hit the riseball?

I would say that's a concern that can wait a few years. My DD is playing 12U travel ball. We don't see much in the way of riseballs.

One thing that is important to notice is how the tilt of the shoulders relates to the plane of the swing. For a pitch up in the zone, there will be less tilt. With that in mind, take a look at your DD's shoulders as she swings, and how it affects her swing plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478