8 week pitching offseason workout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Has she already had a functional movement screen to determine her strengths & weaknesses?

Without it, you're assuming she's physically ready to do the drills.

I heard Dana Sorensen speak in Illinois this summer, very good presentation.
Movements before mechanics.

Jun 26, 2019
Has she already had a functional movement screen to determine her strengths & weaknesses?

Without it, you're assuming she's physically ready to do the drills.

I heard Dana Sorensen speak in Illinois this summer, very good presentation.
Movements before mechanics.
WE have not.. In my rural area we don't have a lot of those services available.. My assumption is movement wise we should be pretty functional, she is a competitive gymnast, and they focus a lot on movement patterns and core strength.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This is my opinion but I wouldn't follow anything pitching related that was in an 8 week plan. Pitching is constant. Learning to pitch is a journey. I assume with your daughter being 9/10 that she needs to work on everything. Read the stickies.

(This response is simple because you really didn't provide a whole lot of information)

Feb 25, 2018
WE have not.. In my rural area we don't have a lot of those services available.. My assumption is movement wise we should be pretty functional, she is a competitive gymnast, and they focus a lot on movement patterns and core strength.

Gymnastics is certainly a plus, but even gymnasts have their own functional strengths and weaknesses. Who knows, there could be a physical therapist/trainer not too far from you.

I agree with the other post, pitching is a journey. Plans should be written in pencil, and sometimes the best way to improve pitching is by improving movement patterns/strength/stability, NOT by pitching.

What type of learner is she? How long before she displays central nervous system fatigue? What else besides softball and gymnastics does she have in her life? How much time does she want to put in?

Lots to consider in program development.

Oct 4, 2018
There are many people (myself included) who see a need to simply take 4-8 weeks off in the winter to give the arm a rest. During that time, however, we want to do things that help our softball-playing pitcher daughters.

Conditioning is common in the off-season, along with speed and agility classes. I too wonder if there are some arm strengthening drills that can fit into this break from pitching.

Feb 25, 2018
Lots of good info out there. Dana Sorensen,
folks at S2 Breakthrough & Austin Wasserman.
My daughter is fortunate to work out once a week at the Wasserman facility in NH, once a week at home.

Yes, pitching work is important, but I believe that improvement of strength/stability/mobility is the precursor to winter pitching work.

I think Doug Gillis, the VT pitching coach, said something along the lines of
"If you don't take a break from pitching how can you work on the things you can't do?".

Sep 19, 2018
I have no actual knowledge on the effectiveness of this workout other than I trust that Denny did his homework on it.

Jan 28, 2017
I have no actual knowledge on the effectiveness of this workout other than I trust that Denny did his homework on it.

DD has this workout and it is a lot of core work. I like it and of course it is a very good cookie cutter program to prevent injuries and some strength components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802