7U baseball tourney experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My nephew "made" the 7U league all star team, and he played the last two tournaments close enough to the house that I was obligated to go watch. First of all, coach pitch tourney ball is ridiculous to say the least? The first thing I picked up on was the coach pitcher for my nephew's team was horrible. The dude could not pitch a strike. He struck out 6 batters in two games since the kids were swinging at the junk over their heads. It's either over their shoulders or in the dirt. Although, I saw a few Tomahawk hits. His pitching was driving me bonkers. You should not be striking out your own players at this "high level" of play right? The second thing I notice is the my nephew's left side of the infield could not grab a single ground ball while the other team looked like 4 Jose Altuves scooping and tossing to 1B with precision and accuracy. I asked my brother in law if the SS and 3B are one of the coach's kids. He looked at me kind of puzzled, and said he didn't think so. 15 minutes later he comes back and says. Well, I didn't know it but YES Tanner is a coach's kid who bats 1st in the order who struck out twice. I am living Domingo Ayala's videos at the moment!!! The next thing that was killing me was LF's dad with his high waisted shorts coach Jimmy from the other side of the fence on every pitch. Jimmy, Jimmy! This kid can hit move over a smidgen. Jimmy, Jimmy don't let the ball go down the line! Jimmy Jimmy move up a little bit on this pitch. Jimmy, Jimmy catch the ball if it comes to you. It took everything for me to keep my mouth shut. Needless to say they got run ruled 11-0. How does that even happen in Coach pitch? Should be 15-14. I almost had a Hissy Quit on behalf of my brother in law. C'mon Dillon! You deserve better than this. We out of here!

Jun 8, 2016
Needless to say they got run ruled 11-0. How does that even happen in Coach pitch? Should be 15-14.
Well the father at least gets to brag on FB that he threw a shutout..

My DS is hopefully going to start baseball in the Fall (he was supposed to start in the Spring/Summer but his team "folded" and the league didn't want to bother to put a 5 YO on another team..) Gotta say I am not looking forward to the baseball Dads..I can imagine they are probably worse than the softball Dads..

Mar 6, 2016
Well the father at least gets to brag on FB that he threw a shutout..

My DS is hopefully going to start baseball in the Fall (he was supposed to start in the Spring/Summer but his team "folded" and the league didn't want to bother to put a 5 YO on another team..) Gotta say I am not looking forward to the baseball Dads..I can imagine they are probably worse than the softball Dads..

I say, instead of your usual spot in RF for your DD and softball...you should sit out in LF for your DS and baseball. You need to "see" things differently now and then. :ROFLMAO:

May 28, 2014
Gotta say I am not looking forward to the baseball Dads..I can imagine they are probably worse than the softball Dads..

Far worse for the most part, lots of dad's living out their failed big league bid through their kids T-ball games. I found in my area baseball is so much more political than softball also - "We are going to redraft teams this year to make sure teams are balanced" - but still one entire travel team still manages to get drafted to one team.. (except the one kid they want to cut but they had to take to fill out the roster) They call it daddy ball for a reason. Good Luck !

Jun 8, 2016
Far worse for the most part, lots of dad's living out their failed big league bid through their kids T-ball games. I found in my area baseball is so much more political than softball also - "We are going to redraft teams this year to make sure teams are balanced" - but still one entire travel team still manages to get drafted to one team.. (except the one kid they want to cut but they had to take to fill out the roster) They call it daddy ball for a reason. Good Luck !
Thank you for the encouraging words.... :LOL:

May 28, 2014
Thank you for the encouraging words.... :LOL:

I try :) It's sort of crazy - I hope you have a better experience than my son, who after his last season decided to never play again. In our area league is determined by skill, and not age as much - well, we kept him down at the "AAA" level so he would get more play time with a coach that he liked, played well, ended up being the SS for all-star team at that level and did really well. Moves up to "majors" the next year and is told that first year players can't play infield - but coaches kids rotate through there all the time with horrible results - Now, whatever - but this is REC ball, not only did they not let half the team play infield in games, but they didn't even let them take REPS in practice at an infield position. Like, if he ran out to SS during the "1 pitch a batter batting practice" the coach would'nt even let him take one ball, and send him to the outfield.

Batting practice was only 1 pitch - have to swing regardless if the pitch was bad or not, for his entire last season he saw less than 20 pitches for batting practice. Also, he and two other kids are only played at the absolute minimum - 1 at bat and 2 innings in the field. This is at 10/11 years old in a rec league. One of the coaches had the gall to complain that he couldn't sub my son out because he didn't have the minimum time. Needless to say, I had a few choice words for coaches during the season about why they wondered they were not successful at all. I had offered to help them in practice and with other aspects, but it was declined. I wish my son's ball experience was like my DD's who's has been mostly positive - but its been horror story after horror story. After that season he has declined to ever play again/
I really hope for the best for anyone that is going to wade into youth baseball. I have learned that you need to be a bit vocal with baseball coaches more than softball, damn Jock egos - while you don't want to be that parent, your kid only has so many years to play and wasting an entire seasons isn't beneficial to anyone

D-

Jun 8, 2016
I try :) It's sort of crazy - I hope you have a better experience than my son, who after his last season decided to never play again. In our area league is determined by skill, and not age as much - well, we kept him down at the "AAA" level so he would get more play time with a coach that he liked, played well, ended up being the SS for all-star team at that level and did really well. Moves up to "majors" the next year and is told that first year players can't play infield - but coaches kids rotate through there all the time with horrible results - Now, whatever - but this is REC ball, not only did they not let half the team play infield in games, but they didn't even let them take REPS in practice at an infield position. Like, if he ran out to SS during the "1 pitch a batter batting practice" the coach would'nt even let him take one ball, and send him to the outfield.

Batting practice was only 1 pitch - have to swing regardless if the pitch was bad or not, for his entire last season he saw less than 20 pitches for batting practice. Also, he and two other kids are only played at the absolute minimum - 1 at bat and 2 innings in the field. This is at 10/11 years old in a rec league. One of the coaches had the gall to complain that he couldn't sub my son out because he didn't have the minimum time. Needless to say, I had a few choice words for coaches during the season about why they wondered they were not successful at all. I had offered to help them in practice and with other aspects, but it was declined. I wish my son's ball experience was like my DD's who's has been mostly positive - but its been horror story after horror story. After that season he has declined to ever play again/
That sucks..sorry to hear your son had such a bad experience.
I really hope for the best for anyone that is going to wade into youth baseball. I have learned that you need to be a bit vocal with baseball coaches more than softball, damn Jock egos - while you don't want to be that parent, your kid only has so many years to play and wasting an entire seasons isn't beneficial to anyone

D-
Yeah...I don't think I will have a problem being vocal if necessary ;)

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
100% agree.I have seen so many out of control/touch/reality dads (and coaches) at baseball games. It's sad. I know of a few kids that were pretty good that stopped paying because of their dads behavior at games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802