7th/8th Graders Playing JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Just curious if anyone had any experience with seventh or eighth graders playing on the high school JV team.

Is that some thing which is decided state by state or more school by school?

Interesting there are so many different rules state to state.
Just curious if anyone had any experience with seventh or eighth graders playing on the high school JV team.

Is that some thing which is decided state by state or more school by school?

Not taking a position but curious to hear opinions.

So in most travel organizations, a 13 year old 8th grader can play 16u or in rare cases 18u if her ability warrants it. In many states, that same kid can’t play on a JV or Varsity high school team in their school district, even if their ability warrants it.

Is this good or bad for the sport?

On the surface it feels like it might be good in that it aims to allow more kids to participate but not good for the quality of play in that it values grad year over ability.

That leads to the second question I guess which is “ what should the aim of a high school program be?”

Should it be to put the best kids on the field, and push them to play at the highest level like a travel organization? Or should it focus on letting more kids get playing time like a rec organization?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Could be neither of the above. This is excerpted from the NFHS Mission Statement.
  • Student participation in education-based high school athletics and activities:
  • • Enriches the educational experience.
  • • Encourages academic achievement.
  • • Promotes respect, integrity and sportsmanship.
  • • Prepares for the future in a global community.
  • • Develops leadership and life skills.
  • • Fosters the inclusion of diverse populations.
  • • Promotes healthy lifestyles and safe competition.
  • • Encourages positive school/community culture.
  • • Should be fun.
I tend to agree with the education-based athletics model since these boys and girls are student-athletes.

I think at the level we are talking, 'the good of the sport' is a misplaced priority, rather than 'the good of the athlete'.

Apr 28, 2014
I think HS sports should be exclusively for High School 9-12 grade kids. I would have loved to see my DD play varsity or JV while she was in 7th or 8th grade. But that wouldn't be fair to those kids in 9-12. Same would be true if she was a senior playing and an 8th grader took time from her. Not normally my position as we pushed her to play 18u when she was 15 but travel is a different situation in that it's not grade based more skill based. The other side is when you put a 7th grader around seniors the age gap is significant. At the travel level as a parent you have a little more control around that.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
I think HS sports should be exclusively for High School 9-12 grade kids. I would have loved to see my DD play varsity or JV while she was in 7th or 8th grade. But that wouldn't be fair to those kids in 9-12. Same would be true if she was a senior playing and an 8th grader took time from her. Not normally my position as we pushed her to play 18u when she was 15 but travel is a different situation in that it's not grade based more skill based. The other side is when you put a 7th grader around seniors the age gap is significant. At the travel level as a parent you have a little more control around that.

Yup, my 12 year old hanging out with the 17-18yr olds. She learned lots quickly lol. She had a gal take her under her wing that was a junior. It was a great learning experience. most good/some bad. Had a tougher time with the parents before the season until they saw the ball. Yes she replaced some older girls along the way, but the coach wants to win!!!

Apr 28, 2014
Yup, my 12 year old hanging out with the 17-18yr olds. She learned lots quickly lol. She had a gal take her under her wing that was a junior. It was a great learning experience. most good/some bad. Had a tougher time with the parents before the season until they saw the ball. Yes she replaced some older girls along the way, but the coach wants to win!!!
Well that's great! Glad it all worked out for you :)
Hope an 8th grader doesn't come along when she's a senior and makes her sit. But it seems that your coach cares about winning so I'm sure you'd be fine with it :)

Apr 28, 2014
It just seems to me that you should have to be in HS to play on a HS team.
Exactly. I see in some college players bios 1500 strike outs. I'm thinking wow. Then read that she has been playing HS softball since 7th grade. That's stupid imo

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Well that's great! Glad it all worked out for you :)
Hope an 8th grader doesn't come along when she's a senior and makes her sit. But it seems that your coach cares about winning so I'm sure you'd be fine with it :)
Well if someone outworks her and earns the spot more power to them. The competition makes a stronger, better team! Talking with college coaches, that was a question asked and answered. Do you have given spots or are they earned. If you can play, then you can play

Nov 18, 2013
In Minnesota it’s up to individual HS coaches if they want to take on 7th or 8th graders. Some have policies that they won’t move a player up unless they make varsity. DD was allowed to play on the freshman team as a 7th grader because they didn’t have any pitchers. As an 8th grader she played varsity and two senior pitchers were moved down to JV. If an 8th grader would have com along to take time from DD as a senior I wouldn’t have had a problem with it. Having someone to push them only makes them better.

Middle school sports here are basically afterschool daycare programs. The quality is more like a gym class where half the kids don’t even want to be there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28