70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Meeehhhh not sure about that better part?

With certainty there are pitchers who are only pitchers because pitchers can be awkward athletically and still pitch,
but the awkward athletic ability limits their defensive and/or hitting skills.
I am talking about college and in particular P5..Think about it..how many D1 pitchers who hit are hitting .250..It goes
towards my risk/reward argument. Most of the D1/P5 pitchers that I have seen hit are top of the order hitters..

Aug 5, 2022
I just think it’s really hard at the elite level for pitchers to put in enough work to do both well. Obviously some extremely talented kids can do this but I think for most one or the other suffers and if I were a coach I would want my pitchers to focus most of their efforts on improving their pitching since for the most part (Oklahomas of the world not withstanding) softball is a pitchers game and great pitching will win most ball games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
I am talking about college and in particular P5..Think about it..how many D1 pitchers who hit are hitting .250..It goes
towards my risk/reward argument. Most of the D1/P5 pitchers that I have seen hit are top of the order hitters..
Especially at that level pitchers will be competing with many other players on the roster who are sitting on the bench. Many of those players are only/basically brought on because they can hit.

Jun 8, 2016
Especially at that level pitchers will be competing with many other players on the roster who are sitting on the bench. Many of those players are only/basically brought on because they can hit.
Right. If your pitcher is going to hit in the bottom of the order it is probably not worth it even if she might be slightly better than whoever would hit instead of her..

Oct 13, 2017
There are some athletically freaky kids that can do it all. If a pitcher can hit let her hit. There are probably some position players that could do the same thing if they had started pitching at a young age.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Look at it this way. I bet the hitting statistics of pitchers who do hit is probably better than the average position player....

I'd bet good money on it.

The pitchers that hit over the years have been pretty outstanding hitters, and seem to be in the top half of batters on their teams. Seems they have to be so amazingly good at hitting to break the rule/stereotype of Pitcher Only.

May 13, 2023
" seems they have to be so amazingly good at hitting to break the rule"
Amazingly good ✔️....yes that would be better than average LOL

Lets take a look at WCWS

Out of the eight teams in the College World Series right now, how many of those pitchers hit for themselves?
I have not looked.

What I have noticed through Super Regionals there are definitely players sitting on the bench coaches are utilizing for Pinch hitters and Dp's. Not pitchers hitting in those roles. Did not see an amazingly good pitcher (from the bench) who could get hit step in and do that. * did not watch every game.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
" seems they have to be so amazingly good at hitting to break the rule"
Amazingly good ✔️....yes that would be better than average LOL

Lets take a look at WCWS

Out of the eight teams in the College World Series right now, how many of those pitchers hit for themselves?
I have not looked.

What I have noticed through Super Regionals there are definitely players sitting on the bench coaches are utilizing for Pinch hitters and Dp's. Not pitchers hitting in those roles. Did not see an amazingly good pitcher (from the bench) who could get hit step in and do that.
Bahl has 32 ABs this season but none in the postseason. Kilfoyle has 30 ABs this season, but she did hit against Oregon. I think the last dominant pitcher who hit was Cagle, but she got bounced last weekend.

May 13, 2023
Bahl has 32 ABs this season but none in the postseason. Kilfoyle has 30 ABs this season, but she did hit against Oregon. I think the last dominant pitcher who hit was Cagle, but she got bounced last weekend.
Thnx!

Any comparisons of hitting statistics their batting averages versus what's on the bench?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28