6year old drills???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
I have a DD that is 6 now soon to be seven. She hits pretty good now, but casts a little. Just trying to find some simple drills she can do that will develope good technique without confusing her or making her think too much. Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

Aug 2, 2008
Poor kid....no offense. Take her fishing or to a movie. Save the drills for the ripe old age of 8.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Keep it simple. Very basic weight shift, and compact swings off a tee, with a full finish. Go slow and easy until she learns these steps well. And at that age, also pay attention to how she throws overhand, make sure she's getting her body open and throws across her body with a proper weight shift. Use tennis balls to practice getting under pop ups, and always try to reach with BOTH hands when catching every single ball, regardless of if its hit or thrown. These basic fundamentals at her age will put her years above her competition.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Keep it simple. Very basic weight shift, and compact swings off a tee, with a full finish. Go slow and easy until she learns these steps well. And at that age, also pay attention to how she throws overhand, make sure she's getting her body open and throws across her body with a proper weight shift. Use tennis balls to practice getting under pop ups, and always try to reach with BOTH hands when catching every single ball, regardless of if its hit or thrown. These basic fundamentals at her age will put her years above her competition.

Good advice. Also use a tennis ball or smaller size softball to teach throwing. 11'' softball to big for little hand. Learn to throw correctly first.

Oct 21, 2012
Poor kid....no offense. Take her fishing or to a movie. Save the drills for the ripe old age of 8.

No offense taken Mike. This little girl, fishes, hunts, and rides four wheelers with me all the time. She has played 8U softball since she was 5 with her older sister. We hit off the tee maybe twice a week for about 15 mins. Just wanting a simple drill that insured proper basic movements. I appreciate Coach James response. Your right about being above her competition. She made allstars with the 6U league and was frustrated because the girls couldnt catch or throw like her.

She hits good, but like I said earlier she has a little casting problem. Hits a lot of balls on the handle because of it. Trying to get her to shorten her swing.

Thanks
Chad

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD is 1/2 year older than yours and likes to do the reversed top hand drill, it took a few times to get it but she also likes to do the walk through drill, she's starting to toss a Whiffle Ball up into the air and hit it with a Whiffle Ball bat like a couch doing infield. It helps when I explain things so that my DD understands what she is trying to accomplish. In games she would contact the ball, roll her hands over and start running before she finished her swing. The only thing I had to do was bribe her. If she took a full swing with good extension and got a line drive double then she would get $5. I'm glad there where only a couple games because it worked instantly. If you DD catches fine now I would recommend using softy baseballs when working on her throwing form.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
How about the fence drill? Stand facing a chain link fence, have her measure the distance by standing so that the knob is touching her bellybutton and the end of the bat is touching the fence. Then let her swing. If she casts, her bat will hit the fence.

If you have a second tee, you can set it up outside, higher and a little behind the first tee. She should be able to hit a ball off the first tee without hitting the second.

Or you can try taking one of those pool noodles and stand behind her, holding it out in roughly the same place that the second tee would be.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
No offense taken Mike. This little girl, fishes, hunts, and rides four wheelers with me all the time. She has played 8U softball since she was 5 with her older sister. We hit off the tee maybe twice a week for about 15 mins. Just wanting a simple drill that insured proper basic movements. I appreciate Coach James response. Your right about being above her competition. She made allstars with the 6U league and was frustrated because the girls couldnt catch or throw like her.

She hits good, but like I said earlier she has a little casting problem. Hits a lot of balls on the handle because of it. Trying to get her to shorten her swing.

Thanks
Chad

Reverse Hand Swing 2010 02 14 14 00 24 - YouTube
Reverse hand drill my daughter

Could try alittle weight to the handle, helps the hitter to feel the cast out. I used the small one, 8 oz pro cut with a 9 year old. Might be to much for a 6 year old.

Straightleg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802