6 Tips for More Successful Bunts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
You are the first person who has explained the top hand full finger grip that way and it makes total sense. As a baseball coach I cringed the first time I saw it in softball, but I think I will have some girls give it a go and see how they like it.

Aug 20, 2017
Most of my time as a fastpitch softball hitting instructor is spent teaching hitters how to drive the ball to – or over – the fence. Yet at some point I will also have each hitter work on laying down bunts. Now, you might be surprised at that statement given some of my past post […]

More...
Good info! I’ll add one for sacrifice bunts: stay in the box until the bunt is on the ground. So many try to run to 1B early. This causes many foul ball bunts.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Pretty good info, I still just can't teach a full finger wrap on top hand. Just waiting for a broken hand and finished season. I don't agree with covering half the plate, teach your hitters to be able to bunt regardless...Up in the box or standard spot for bunts. ONLY time you'd be back of the box is bunting with a runner on and looking to steal so the catcher can't cheat up.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bunting with hands together just below the barrel. Covering only half the plate is an interesting idea. Makes sense.
I also like to use the barrel for harder bunt past the 3rd baseman that require the right handed pitcher to backhand the ball

Dec 11, 2010
Please add this to the list:

Drop the bat outside the foul line. If this is taught early it takes zero time and prevents much and many super stupid outcomes. This is such a painless coaching point.

If you teach dropping the bat at/behind the plate to “be in the way of the catcher”, there is no hope for you. I am sorry for your unfortunate upbringing. Enjoy the outs these kids will make whether they deserve them or not.

Another one: Emphasize to hitters to get it fair. The first time.

If the player isn’t getting it fair, tell them to bunt it harder. It doesn’t need to drop “perfectly” in front of the plate. It has to be fair. Quit fooling around deadening the ball.

And every player should know that bunting it back to a LHP isn’t a bad idea most of the time.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ken, for the first time I can remember, we disagree and the teams I coach bunt a lot. In fact, teams in our conference bunt a lot.

May 27, 2013
I also prefer that girls get their eye level closer to the bat when bunting. Helps them to see the ball better coming in. Also, always practice bunting with a helmet and a cage - too many times I’ve seen the bunt deflect right into the face during practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28