6 feet behind/away??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
hi all. I love reading all the posts about how we can start playing this wonderful game we all love and that I have been coaching for 17 years!! I also respect everyone's passion and their opinions. The big talk seems to be on umpires and whether they should be right behind the catcher like normal or behind the catcher 6 feet away or lastly behind the pither 6 feet away. So I would like to know what about the batter? No way she can be six feet away right? What about tag plays? Listen I miss it tremendously and I miss scouting players at showcases so I am just wondering!! Stay safe...stay well and hope to see ya'll on the field!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The big talk seems to be on umpires and whether they should be right behind the catcher like normal or behind the catcher 6 feet away or lastly behind the pither 6 feet away. So I would like to know what about the batter? No way she can be six feet away right? What about tag plays? Listen I miss it tremendously and I miss scouting players at showcases so I am just wondering!! Stay safe...stay well and hope to see ya'll on the field!!

Of course, it is all about trying to minimize the risk.

In a normal situation, the home plate umpire is the most at-risk individual on the field. In the course of a 90 minute game, the plate umpire spends at least 60 minutes within six feet of the catchers.

Everyone else spends only a few minutes within six feet of each other. An at-bat only takes two or three minutes. Then, the catcher and the batter are rarely at the same height...the catcher is crouched down behind the plate.

About the only time the players get close are on tag plays, and even then it is only for a few seconds. Also, tag plays don't happen very much in a game.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville

In a normal situation, the home plate umpire is the most at-risk individual on the field. In the course of a 90 minute game, the plate umpire spends at least 60 minutes within six feet of the catchers.

Everyone else spends only a few minutes within six feet of each other. An at-bat only takes two or three minutes. Then, the catcher and the batter are rarely at the same height...the catcher is crouched down behind the plate.

About the only time the players get close are on tag plays, and even then it is only for a few seconds. Also, tag plays don't happen very much in a game.
Thank you. I appreciate and respect your time and reply!! Stay well

May 29, 2015

I’d actually say the opposite ... I’m spending the whole game breathing on the catcher and yelling (exhuming spittle) over the top of her. For my sake, she is facing away.

I’ll also point out again that most of the concern is NOT on the field. It is in all the common areas, the areas of passing and congestion: parking lot, front gate, concession stand, restroom, dugouts, gate to the field, and, for umpires, the umpires’ facilities.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I’ll also point out again that most of the concern is NOT on the field. It is in all the common areas, the areas of passing and congestion: parking lot, front gate, concession stand, restroom, dugouts, gate to the field, and, for umpires, the umpires’ facilities.

I agree completely.

If the games are going to be played (and it seems likely they will), then we ought to be talking about how to minimize the risk.

Oct 4, 2018
I do worry about the poor catcher. Umpire breathing down on her. Batters breathing down on them. In my uneducated position, the catcher is the most at risk here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478