6-12 year old number one hitting correction needed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
"Keep that back foot down" is one I hear a lot here in St. Louis, more on the softball side than the baseball side.

However, I heard it today at a baseball game and the result was the kid took his hips out of his swing.

Jun 3, 2010
My biggest gripe is in the 6-8yr old coach pitch leagues where the coaches pitch a ball to the girls that looks like something you would see in church league softball. To me, this is why you see so many little girls with there back shoulder down, back elbow tucked to there side and the bat at a 90 degree angle to the ground as they start the swing.

Those 8 year olds that are killing the ball in coach pitch, struggle for most of there 9yrold fastpitch year to adjust to the speed of the pitches and if they have a descent coach that can start correcting three years of bad swing habits.

My DD was a fair hitter in Coach Pitch, but her swing looked text book, when she stepped up to fast pitch, the adjustment was very quick. Her buddies that were hitting those monster shots the year before look so pitiful this year with the "Coach Pitch Swing Syndrone".

I wish there was a Coach Pitch Rule implemented where the coach has to pitch the ball fast enough so that the ball travels on a flat -flatter path to the batter instead of being 6 foot off the ground halfway to home to a batter that is only 3.5 ft tall.

The other problem I see is that parents on average have never spent the time with there DD in the yard when they were small. So many parents think that the girl will get it at practice, the foundation has to be layed at home. There are exceptions!

Oct 12, 2009
My biggest gripe is in the 6-8yr old coach pitch leagues where the coaches pitch a ball to the girls that looks like something you would see in church league softball. To me, this is why you see so many little girls with there back shoulder down, back elbow tucked to there side and the bat at a 90 degree angle to the ground as they start the swing.

What's worse is that this gets worse as the kid struggles. Coaches tend to slow down their velocity rather than speeding it up (and flattening up the plane of the pitch).

Young kids can handle speed much easier than arc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802