50mph or Bust

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2019
I set an ultimatum for DD last winter when looking for a new team due to unforeseen circumstances. She was 2nd yr 12U, but there were several decent opportunities at 14U she was interested in. At the time I told her 14U is another level and her game fastball speed needs to be 50mph minimum with the movement pitches not far off that or i wouldn't allow her to move up. She ended up with a good 12U team and had a successful season so crisis averted.
Now that DD's moving up to 13U and her pitch speeds are still not quite there, what to do about the ultimatum I set 6 months ago.
The main reason for the 50mph limit was the need for her pitches to be harder to hit. She's been tattooed by a couple line drives in the last yr and I dont want her head taken off after hanging a 45mph fastball in the zone.

May 16, 2019
What is your plan to increase speed?
for example
1. Improved mechanics.
2. Posterior chain strength
3. Core strength
4. Throwing with more speed.... long toss or?

Apr 12, 2019
What is your plan to increase speed?
for example
1. Improved mechanics.
2. Posterior chain strength
3. Core strength
4. Throwing with more speed.... long toss or?

Mechanics are pretty solid.

I'll try to post a video

Trying to get a preteen DD to follow a strength training regimen is quite a task.
Have been working long toss this summer and has helped with spin and whip for sure. Speed is possibly been gaining ground.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just like to share there are some older kick rear pitchers whose top speeds are 60mph.

If she's working more of the batters then batters are working her...
*Keep going with command and control!

Perhaps throw more change-ups...they make everything else faster!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was never the fastest pitcher. She is quick. I remember 1 ball that went by her right ear she did not react to it. It can be scary as a parent.

I would not set an arbitrary number on pitch speed, just keep working on it.

If you are uncomfortable maybe move your DD off pitching, I would have had 0 success moving DD off pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802