5 Tips to Help Catchers Throw Out More Base Runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
While there are many things that go into being a great catcher, there are really two aspects where catchers “make their bones.” The first is blocking. In a tight game especially, the ability to block a pitch that’s thrown in the dirt can make the difference between winning and losing. Great blocking can also give […]

More...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Some good basic info (or reminders) in there Ken. Tip #5 might not be popular with some of the control freak type coaches that to many on DFP should not be questioned...I for one am very glad that you and a few others continue to beat the drum about development and learning the game vs collecting plastic trophies. And it goes far beyond 10 - 12U.

Thank you.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
In my opinion, I believe that point #1 (stance with butt above the knees stance) is a technique learned in the young age divisions that has no place in more advanced softball/older age divisions. I think it much better to stick to techniques that older players adhere to. Set up LOW on all pitches with RISP, it is up to the catcher to pick up the steal and rise out of their setup quick enough to catch runners. Totally a learnable skill, but not easy. If DD still utilized the stance promoted in #1, she would NEVER catch for her team as it would make it nearly impossible to receive low pitches and make them look good!

just my .02

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Always a good read Ken.

Will throw in my .02
imo
no butt above knees

Same feet width however crouch lower.

Can get extremely low.20170919_150122-1.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like to add
Wish catchers would pay more attention to overall pop time #.
Transition
Throwing mechanics
Throwing speed
Accuracy

Have a goal to trim it down!
Like pitchers
Always working on it!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In my opinion, I believe that point #1 (stance with butt above the knees stance) is a technique learned in the young age divisions that has no place in more advanced softball/older age divisions. I think it much better to stick to techniques that older players adhere to. Set up LOW on all pitches with RISP, it is up to the catcher to pick up the steal and rise out of their setup quick enough to catch runners. Totally a learnable skill, but not easy. If DD still utilized the stance promoted in #1, she would NEVER catch for her team as it would make it nearly impossible to receive low pitches and make them look good!

just my .02
Actually you can get low enough to receive low pitches with this stance. You just can't have your back so upright. Lower the shoulders and get the back closer to parallel to the ground and you can handle the low strikes while still adding the mobility of having the butt above the knees. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the knees too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802