4th practice for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
The mat goes on vacation with us. True story, my DD was around 9 and could not line up in front of me, so I put a stick down on one side of her and a pine cone down on the other side of her to mark the rubber. My wife made a swoop with the riding lawnmower and ran over the stick and then made a circle and ran over the pine cone. i went inside and ordered a mat and then mowed the grass. It saved a marriage and is a great tool for pitching.

Jan 4, 2019
It is most likely me that is confusing the terms. Thank you for all the advise ! I am at a loss now because I don't know any one teaching the IR in our area. Looking at the videos of her other players they all have a whip at the end, but not as much as what I have seen here. I just know she is starting out and I want her to learn the correct way from the get go.

Apr 28, 2014
It is most likely me that is confusing the terms. Thank you for all the advise ! I am at a loss now because I don't know any one teaching the IR in our area. Looking at the videos of her other players they all have a whip at the end, but not as much as what I have seen here. I just know she is starting out and I want her to learn the correct way from the get go.

Look for a tincher pitching instructor.
Google tincher pitching

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thanks! Just what I was looking for. Her batting coach who was a D1 player suggested giving it a try, that’s who was working with her there. After taking it seriously, we have since got her a actual pitching coach. The first thing she mentioned was her bowlers leg. I blame my husband, he takes her bowling all the time �� she has had 1 actual pitching lesson since this video and she is doing drills more than actual pitching.
Here is a video of a drill.

Oh, for heaven's sakes. I've ran into this stupid drill a couple of times. It ruins a pitcher.

A good drill is supposed to be part of the overall motion, not a whole different motion.

Take 5 minutes and look at these top D1 pitchers. None of them look even remotely similar to the drill.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EGLgO8PXfl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't who the pitching coach is, but maybe you need to think about finding someone else.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Thank you for all the advise ! I am at a loss now because I don't know any one teaching the IR in our area.

I feel your pain. My DD is 9. It took me four pitching coach to find the one. She is a tincher, 45 minutes away with no traffic. It's been 6 weeks (with 2 weeks off for the holidays), and you'd never know she has learned a whole new arm slot (Is that the correct term?). She is throwing harder and more accurately than before.

Besides for the 3 Coaches I met before 'The One' I know of at least 3 or 4 more coaches that are busy with students teaching palm down.

Nov 8, 2018

Good luck finding someone. It’s not easy. Tincher professionals do I/r but the technique has some questionable things about it that i don’t like. Start a thread asking who in your area teaches I/r technique.
I did and found someone but i drive 5 hours to get there. Is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2017
I agree with the reservations on the Tincher method. We were not fully satisfied with our instuctor. I'm not sure that she could pitch herself. We had 1 two hour and 2 one hour lessons. She seemed to only spout Denny's talking points. We traveled 4 hours to her place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
I agree with the reservations on the Tincher method. We were not fully satisfied with our instuctor. I'm not sure that she could pitch herself. We had 1 two hour and 2 one hour lessons. She seemed to only spout Denny's talking points. We traveled 4 hours to her place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Because someone is certified doesn’t guarantee they are good instructors. Unfortunate. But honestly you will know a good one from a bad one right away. Just have to be willing to admit it to ones self. Especially after a 4 hour drive. We want so badly to have picked the right pc. But when it’s wrong it’s wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802