??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok I watched the video. Thought the guy was going to be an idiot. He was not. What he is describing is an external focus. Talking about a giving task (inside the ball) and seeing improvement in the internal moving parts. Put the ball on the tee (outside and deep) and give the student the task of hitting line drives to the grass to RF. Then move to front toss with the same task. Don't hit into a net. Let the student see the trajectory and absorb the freeback. Check out Gabriel Wulf stuff if you want the science behind it.

Oct 2, 2017
Ok I watched the video. Thought the guy was going to be an idiot. He was not. What he is describing is an external focus. Talking about a giving task (inside the ball) and seeing improvement in the internal moving parts. Put the ball on the tee (outside and deep) and give the student the task of hitting line drives to the grass to RF. Then move to front toss with the same task. Don't hit into a net. Let the student see the trajectory and absorb the freeback. Check out Gabriel Wulf stuff if you want the science behind it.

Agree, giving a task and let the player self adjust their body to make it happen.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This all made a lot of sense to me. This is about pedagogy more than it's about hitting, really. He's not questioning the technique, just how we teach.

The only quibble I have is that I see plenty of young players who swing in a downward path, and sometimes it doesn't look much different from the exaggerated version he showed here.

Oct 2, 2017
It may work with some kids.. But if one thinks the task will automatically fix how the body needs to move is incorrect.. No different then the ttb queue..
Good point. I know sometimes when using this approach that players when adjusting to get the result end up adding some movement that is unnecessary which then becomes a problem to fix.

Reactions: TDS
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've watched a lot of his videos. Good outside the box approach. The more you watch though he spends more time telling you what NOT to do than what to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802