40% Code Wilson Outlet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Are you kidding me?
That does stink. I am sorry. I bought my dd an H12. Light color & gold piping as well. The black laces look great.

I don't feel like a brand new mitt needs oil. there is plenty in there to begin with. But....
I am going to assume that that mitt is a 2019 like the one I got. I've been wondering if the mitts have been sitting in a warehouse for (possibly) over a year. If so, perhaps they should get a little conditioner / oil treatment and especially the laces.

Sep 19, 2018
From Horween.com

"BASEBALL GLOVE
Our ball glove leather is a straight chrome tannage and is designed to meet the demanding expectations of professional athletes. This tannage is specifically formulated to yield the strength, durability, and temper that are ideal for repetitive use. Only the very finest full grain hides are selected for this fully aniline, oiled leather."

Jun 26, 2020
So teach me this, or correct me if I’m wrong, love leaning about these processes.

Good ole old school tan lace, like Tanners for example is Alum tanned.....and colored lace, like the rest of the glove is chrome tanned, right?

You say neither process is stronger or weaker than the other, right? I just know that every glove I’ve either owned or worked on with camel, white, red, or blue lace, it was always stretched to the point I felt I could almost break it with my hands.

Even a side by side comparison between brand new colored lace and tan lace that’s the exact same size, the tan lace is ALWAYS stiffer and more sturdy!

First off am I correct about colored lace being chrome tanned, if so does the chrome tanning chemical process make those colored laces more soft and pliable? And I assume that process helps the lace more easily take the colored dye?

Thanks, appreciate any info!
I'll do my best here. Luckily I'm waiting on a plane.

Chrome tanning rules the roost in athletic equipment as well as most mass produced finished goods. Any vibrant colors even blacks can and are chrome tanned. It's done this way because it's cheap and easy. A fresh hide comes in one door and finished leather goes out the last door. The alternative is a veggie based dye which is less caustic and less hassle for disposal. Veggie is the old school way of doing it chrome is more recent (200years old). Chrome is good also because it's faster. You can turn and burn product. Everybody claims to have a recipe but they're all basically the same.

Veggie (tannins from trees and believe it or not urine) is good for gun holsters, saddles..... Things that you want to engrave or burn to embellish. Think higher end leather goods.
Chrome isn't great for that because the process makes it more supple, like a car interior or furniture. Again think cheap and easy.

I'm in athletic and outdoors gear raw goods I can't tell you the last time anyone ever asked me about veggie tanned hides much less bought it for baseball gloves. I sell it only to find leather Craftsmen

So why do you believe it breaks easier? It just might but it's not from the color. You probably don't like the color so you're expecting the result.

There's only about 2 maybe 3 quality glove manufacturers in the world that can keep up with the big guys. Without giving away sourcing secrets the oil comes from the same hole. Leather lacing is made to order for manufacturers. Its made to spec so if you can buy something narrower or thinner you save money which rolls downhill. IE Anna's glove company wants to sell at Dicks, but Dicks wants a glove that will retail at $69.99. Anna has to find a source who can meet that price point or lose the deal. Every corner cut is a win. Anna only cares about the bottom line. Now a trick the manufacturers use is telling Anna they can make a glove to hit that point using lacing left over from a $38 glove. Which happens. Anna say sure then the internet explodes with broken lace reports

Leather is dyed if the end resulting color is darker than a raw or blue hide. Anything lighter is basically painted

Hope that makes sense. I always like talking leather it pays the light bill

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'll do my best here. Luckily I'm waiting on a plane.

Chrome tanning rules the roost in athletic equipment as well as most mass produced finished goods. Any vibrant colors even blacks can and are chrome tanned. It's done this way because it's cheap and easy. A fresh hide comes in one door and finished leather goes out the last door. The alternative is a veggie based dye which is less caustic and less hassle for disposal. Veggie is the old school way of doing it chrome is more recent (200years old). Chrome is good also because it's faster. You can turn and burn product. Everybody claims to have a recipe but they're all basically the same.

Veggie (tannins from trees and believe it or not urine) is good for gun holsters, saddles..... Things that you want to engrave or burn to embellish. Think higher end leather goods.
Chrome isn't great for that because the process makes it more supple, like a car interior or furniture. Again think cheap and easy.

I'm in athletic and outdoors gear raw goods I can't tell you the last time anyone ever asked me about veggie tanned hides much less bought it for baseball gloves. I sell it only to find leather Craftsmen

So why do you believe it breaks easier? It just might but it's not from the color. You probably don't like the color so you're expecting the result.

There's only about 2 maybe 3 quality glove manufacturers in the world that can keep up with the big guys. Without giving away sourcing secrets the oil comes from the same hole. Leather lacing is made to order for manufacturers. Its made to spec so if you can buy something narrower or thinner you save money which rolls downhill. IE Anna's glove company wants to sell at Dicks, but Dicks wants a glove that will retail at $69.99. Anna has to find a source who can meet that price point or lose the deal. Every corner cut is a win. Anna only cares about the bottom line. Now a trick the manufacturers use is telling Anna they can make a glove to hit that point using lacing left over from a $38 glove. Which happens. Anna say sure then the internet explodes with broken lace reports

Leather is dyed if the end resulting color is darker than a raw or blue hide. Anything lighter is basically painted

Hope that makes sense. I always like talking leather it pays the light bill
Thank you sir! I think I'm really well versed with glove patterns, what glove size, make, model will fit and work for a particular girl at a particular position. And of course I know exactly what I like in a glove. But learning about leather tanning and the glove manufacturing process really intrigues me!

But basically what you're saying is the business of leather tanning is just like EVERY other business, it's all about the money! Cutting corners, less is more, bottom line! So no one is out there trying their best the produce THE absolute best, most gorgeous, perfect TAN lace for ole ANNASDAD, that hurts! :rolleyes:

And your analogy of using lace from a $38.00 glove to put in a $69.99 glove makes perfect sense! I've gotten so many limited numbered, Horween exclusives that the glove itself, the construction, the cut pieces, and the fit & finish were just incredible, and the lace was such a huge letdown! Of course I'd never bitch about that here!

May 23, 2015
Are you kidding me?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's your problem! Crap hides and remnants get made into laces. Get a replacement. The grain has almost been sanded completely away. Its lost its strength.

That said lacing doesn't need a ton of strength because it's not pulling a truck out of the mud its strength depends on the way its laced

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
4c9b8642d69329c6281113076c4f6922.jpg

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I didn’t do it. I repaired the pocket but I couldn’t figure out where the lace continued I had Monkey Sports in Irvine do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802