4-6 Instructional Softball League

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2020
Interested in any recommendations for gloves and helmets (with face mask). The equipment is for 4-6 girls instructional softball league. Obviously the biggest obstacles are gloves that are small enough to fit small hands, yet functional and flexible to allow for proper instruction. Also helmets that are safe yet not too heavy for smaller heads.

May 29, 2015
If they weren’t already playing competitive in 4u, their careers are over. ;)

I don’t think you will find adequately sized helmets. I know when we created a t-ball league (about 10 years ago) we never found anything small enough. Half the fun was watching the bobble-heads running bases!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Yeah....honestly never really given it a lot of thought just through them in tee ball (baseball) until 8U coach pitch (softball)

Apr 30, 2018
I wouldn't spend $100 on a glove for a 4yo, but Bradley has this one on clearance for $65. For a full leather shell it is a good option and should have a hand/finger stall to fit small hands.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
My league could never order the helmets small enough, yet somehow the girls that went to Dicks or wherever never had a problem finding one that fit just fine.

As for gloves, at that age - I would first suggest some kind of equipment swap, or just ask around for gloves already broken in. If you're being smart about it, and NOT using an 11" or 12" ball, (they make 10" softballs - but I think we should have just used a baseball in Kindergarten), then don't go any bigger than 11.5" on the glove size. If you can only use an 11", don't go bigger than a 12" glove.

I know we all have the image of the little girl with a glove bigger than her head, barely able to keep it on her hand - but that's not what I'm talking about. The girls I've seen that have the most success learning to catch have been using bigger gloves. My untested theory on this is that with a smaller glove, the kids are catching it in their hand - they're feeling it too much. When they use a larger glove and can catch it in the webbing, it seems to give them a little more confidence (they're catching it with their glove, vs. catching it in their hand, which only has this thin piece of leather protecting their palm).

If it needs to be a new glove - the Jenny Finch Mizuno line is pretty good - quick break-in, pink and purple highlights, readily available, should be around $30, and will last about 2 years of rec use. The Mizuno's, and most brands now, have a "notch" in the heel to help make it easier to close.

Feb 7, 2020
Thanks for everyone’s input. That’s the biggest issue being the functionality of the glove. With such small hands, it’s difficult to balance the glove size with being able to actually squeeze/use it somewhat properly.

Oct 26, 2019
+1 for the Jenny finch Mizuno - I have recommended that glove to several girls and it’s super easy to break in and catch with. My 9yo would still be using it if it would have held up a little better. Bonus - they come in different sizes too.

May 29, 2015
Thanks for everyone’s input. That’s the biggest issue being the functionality of the glove. With such small hands, it’s difficult to balance the glove size with being able to actually squeeze/use it somewhat properly.

I wouldn’t be too worried about 5 and 6 year olds squeezing the glove to catch. 90% of anything that is caught is an accident and it will all be basket catches.

Dec 5, 2017
Go to Academy, they have a good selection of small, cheap baseball gloves. At that age I would use a baseball rather than a softball. Good luck on finding helmets that fit correctly, my dd is very small and I still have to buy extra padding to make hers fit, she will be 11 in a few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478