3rd baseman hit with line drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am copying someone's post from another site -
"Prayers Needed!
A 15 year old sophmore on our high school team took a line drive to the head today while playing third base at a tournament in Tuscon. It crushed her nose and the front part of her skull and her brain is bleeding. They dont think its life threatening right now, but she is having surgery in the morning to reconsruct her forehead. Please pray for Vivian, her family, and the rest of the team."

A later post said that surgery was postponed due to swelling, but that the player was alert and on Facebook with girls from the other team, and that they felt awful - especially the batter.

Jan 24, 2011
These sort of things are just hard to stomach. They are becoming way too frequent. It is time for something to be done. I know a lot of people blame the bats (which is a problem) , but also the mentality that a player is less skilled due to wearing a mask has to be squashed.

Dec 11, 2010
Just got off the phone with a buddy who took his dd to a D3 college dome game. Pitch #4 of the game was a rocket back at the pitcher who was not wearing a mask. He said she got her glove up and it may have tipped off her glove but it still hit her in the head above her eye. She went down and he said it was a heart dropping moment for all present. She apparently escaped serious injury but was shaky on her trip back to the dugout.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD doesn't like to play 3rd. She took a bad hop to the throat when 11 and has since avoided playing there like the plague. When asked she gets out her mask and you have to tell her about 10 times to move in. Oh she moves in each time but it's about 6". I don't know how any kid plays there and closes to within 30 feet of home without a mask. Geez a drag bunt could catch you in the kisser.

Thoughts are with the injured player.

Dec 7, 2011
Let's get rid of the hot bats!
Let's just set a age group, say 10U, where new spec bats apply (cheap aluminum preferrably).
I assume we start with the youth organizations.
Can you think of any non-bat-manufacturer going against this??
Somebody has got to have already started something we can all "sigh" right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802