3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was attached to a C 1 year, DD is an easy catch so sounded like a good plan. Practice was great. She was not going to throw anyone out at 2nd which is OK. DD was all excited to have her own C.

1st game DD struck out 4 batters an inning, it was a mess. All I can think of was C was closing her eyes during the game. Guess at practice DD pitched to her without a batter.

Who DD thinks of her C, 1 game when we were up DD purposely tried to throw it by her. Low, high, outside testing her limits. They were both having fun and after gameI told DD you two had your fun never do it again.

Good C is golden makes P a lot better but you, or them, need to work on it.

Jul 27, 2020
Like that suggestion for all pitchers and catchers.
Every team!

Just to add more detail,
the pitchers and catchers throw weekly at practice.

I understand why someone would want to have a C show up to P lessons but only if the C is putting in her work as well.

One of my DD’s C is the coach’s DD. She doesn’t put in any work or go to clinics (free by the org) and he constantly asks when my DD has her lesson so she can catch. My DD has improved quite a bit with her hard work on her own and C hasn’t progressed at all. I respectfully decline. Although it can build a good relationship, my DD doesn’t want to throw to her (even questions why she had to pitch to her) and we are better off with our own lessons with me catching and her coach instructing.

Also don’t have to hear coach tell my DD to just throw strikes while his DDs glove gets knocked off and misses a ton.

Now the other C on the team #1, I would have no problem with her catching during the lesson. My daughter built a better relationship with her after a handful of practices than an entire year with C#2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I understand why someone would want to have a C show up to P lessons but only if the C is putting in her work as well.

One of my DD’s C is the coach’s DD. She doesn’t put in any work or go to clinics (free by the org) and he constantly asks when my DD has her lesson so she can catch. My DD has improved quite a bit with her hard work on her own and C hasn’t progressed at all. I respectfully decline. Although it can build a good relationship, my DD doesn’t want to throw to her (even questions why she had to pitch to her) and we are better off with our own lessons with me catching and her coach instructing.

Also don’t have to hear coach tell my DD to just throw strikes while his DDs glove gets knocked off and misses a ton.

Now the other C on the team #1, I would have no problem with her catching during the lesson. My daughter built a better relationship with her after a handful of practices than an entire year with C#2.

Did you say all that to the coach?

.... it's a little peculiar that's the catcher that's going to catch your daughter in games right? Wouldn't you want her to try and get better ...I think so get more familiar.
Don't know what she's doing on her own or why she may not be going to those clinics but they were trying to step up and do some work with your daughter.

. And at the end you said my daughter build a better relationship with the other catcher after a handful of practices a year ago why don't you give that a try again... with the catcher that needs work who wants to show up.

I understand it may be a difficult situation to at least give it a try once. who knows maybe the pitching instructor can suggest some things to the catcher to help her. never know but trying is a good thing

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Why don’t the pitchers invite the 2 catchers to catch them at their pitching lessons so they get more work? This will also help to improve the relationships.

It's a good idea but in many cases it's logistically impossible -- distance, scheduling, etc. And honestly in many high level pitching lessons, the ball isn't thrown as much as one might think.

Lots of teams have pitchers & catchers show up to practice early and work together. And on teams that don't, I get my daughters (one is a P, one is a C) to get a pitcher or catcher to show up early and work with them before practice. They almost never say "no".

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
More wrinkles to this, which I experience as a pitcher's dad:

1. P1 pitches against the better teams, and then P2 has better stats. Can be frustrating if other parents are clueless.

2. Say P1 is an excellent 3B and plays there when she doesn't pitch. When P2 pitches, the team has their best possible defense in place. But since P2 doesn't play any other position, P1 is pitching with an inferior defense. Also frustrating.

Jul 27, 2020
Did you say all that to the coach?

.... it's a little peculiar that's the catcher that's going to catch your daughter in games right? Wouldn't you want her to try and get better ...I think so get more familiar.
Don't know what she's doing on her own or why she may not be going to those clinics but they were trying to step up and do some work with your daughter.

. And at the end you said my daughter build a better relationship with the other catcher after a handful of practices a year ago why don't you give that a try again... with the catcher that needs work who wants to show up.

I understand it may be a difficult situation to at least give it a try once. who knows maybe the pitching instructor can suggest some things to the catcher to help her. never know but trying is a good thing

That’s the tough situation. He’s the coach with 2 DDs and have addressed things in the past but nothings changed. Even other parents who’s kids are C have mentioned something and hasn’t changed.

At one point he had P and C get together to see they wanted to P/C my DD told him another C and another P said she’d like to pitch to his DD and was all for naught. Went back to the same battery

They have played together for over a year and nothing has changed with her skill set and guess it gets bothersome when you don’t see the progress in that position.

I think they are trying to step her up at the detriment to the team as a whole but also shouldn’t rely on one pitcher. My feeling is that C doesn’t want to show up and just get through practice/game based on what I’ve seen. I’ve seen how she practices and handles game situations.

I will take your advice and give it another try and ask my DD throw with her or if C asks. Hopefully we can find a good situation with everyone and split time with the #1 C.

I appreciate all your feedback.

Oct 14, 2019
Some kids are just not mentally aware enough to handle all the demands of being a catcher. we have a backup catcher who has all the individual skills of being a catcher but cant put them all together.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some kids are just not mentally aware enough to handle all the demands of being a catcher. we have a backup catcher who has all the individual skills of being a catcher but cant put them all together.

Game awareness is as important as any physical skill. This is pretty much true for every position, but is magnified for Cs because of how often they touch the ball.

Oct 14, 2019
simple example. last weekend runners at 1 and 2. 1 out. 3rd strike swing and miss on a ball in the dirt. catcher sees the runners off the base and fires to 3rd. runner at 3rd out by a mile. backup catcher would maybe have blocked the ball. if she had thrown it probably would have been to first.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That’s the tough situation. He’s the coach with 2 DDs and have addressed things in the past but nothings changed. Even other parents who’s kids are C have mentioned something and hasn’t changed.

At one point he had P and C get together to see they wanted to P/C my DD told him another C and another P said she’d like to pitch to his DD and was all for naught. Went back to the same battery

They have played together for over a year and nothing has changed with her skill set and guess it gets bothersome when you don’t see the progress in that position.

I think they are trying to step her up at the detriment to the team as a whole but also shouldn’t rely on one pitcher. My feeling is that C doesn’t want to show up and just get through practice/game based on what I’ve seen. I’ve seen how she practices and handles game situations.

I will take your advice and give it another try and ask my DD throw with her or if C asks. Hopefully we can find a good situation with everyone and split time with the #1 C.

I appreciate all your feedback.

Good luck.
Give an update!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28