3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You will have those share those undesirable traits of pitchers. I just don't have any perspective because my DD is a pitcher.

Pitcher's families love great catchers as well. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy catching my DD. I am probably not as athletic as many bucket dad's. I can honestly say that catching my DD is a painful experience. Yes I can admit that I will beg and bribe a 13 or 14 year old catcher to come save me from having to catch DD's lessons or bullpens. She pitches up to 61 mph and if I don't catch it in the pocket of the mitt it stings like hell. The worst ones are the ones that catch my thumb. I have honestly found tacos to be a good incentive. I have thought about getting some of the catchers a shirt that says "Will catch for tacos".
Had a student catcher at one time who's team had a pitcher that was very sloppy.
While in pregame warmups ran over to where her mom was sitting to get her Gatorade and said to her mom, 'I can't believe I'm catching ______ She has already thrown 23 pitches in the dirt.
( yes the catcher was counting)
The first inning of the game the pitcher proceeded to walk 2 batters six of which those pitches were in the dirt.
Lol... not sure if that deserves a lazzzering in the shin or not...🤫 (no)

...yes pitchers have 'trates'

May 7, 2015
SoCal
This is a long thread that I probably need to read to get the full appreciation but here is my two cents. My DD is a 1st year 14A high velocity pitcher.

In general, pitchers should be indifferent to who catches them. Most high level pitchers at 14U should have experience picking up and playing with a variety of different catchers. While my DD certainly has some catchers that she prefers over others....she would never dictate to a coach that she will only pitch to one certain catcher and I would never do so either.

With that said the best idea is not to include any primary catcher on your team that can't catch your best pitcher. Most 14U teams are carrying two catchers and they both better be able to catch your ace.

It is also a good idea to look for behaviors that catchers do that annoy pitchers and address it. I realize the OP is a college level catcher and probably knows all these things, but this is my list of things 14U catchers do to annoy their pitchers:

1. Not returning the ball properly - pitchers just want to catch the ball, check the runners if necessary, and get ready to throw the next pitch. Some catchers seem to fail to separate this simple task from throwing runners out. The pitcher wants the ball back at her chest and the appropriate speed for the situation. Cannon shots at the knees will make a pitcher grumpy really fast.

2. Keep the game moving - if your catcher is running back runners or throwing to first every pitch she is going to irritate her pitcher. Also failing to get the pitch signal in and get set quickly. When a pitcher is a groove they like to keep it that way.

3. Pulling the ball out of the strikezone or standing up - I see this one quite a bit because DD throws fast. Quite a few catchers will tend to give with the ball and pull it out of the strike zone. With good umpires this doesn't matter but not every blue is ready for the majors. Some watch the catcher's glove.
Ha, I'm on a satirical roll this morning! Please know the following is very tongue in cheek, but I do have these conversations with my DD who is now an sophomore 18u catcher and who has worked on her many shortcomings A LOT!

In general, pitchers should be WAY more flexible than they are, but in the lower age divisions, its easier said than done... Woah, between the Diva's, prima donna's, and temper tantrum Terri's (include their parents too, usually the Mom!), DD has caught them all! I joke with her that poop rolls down hill and the catcher is rolling around in it at that bottom of that hill!

Pitchers need the catcher to act like this
emotional-support-dog-768x481.jpg

The coaches and the team need this
01-lion-populations-nationalgeographic_1777804.jpg

When catchers are learning, mistakes are made! The hardest part of it all is that catching requires so many entirely different facets to be considered "good".
1- technically savy
2-supportive
3-authoritative
4-agressive
5-tough as nails

There's no other way to learn the above without pointed discussions and lots of work on it. My DD has been terrible at all of them at one time, bossy, passive, technically weak, you name it she's done it! If the coach or the parents don't address it with the catcher, time to move her to the outfield!

My catching mantra to DD... "catchers have maybe one or two chances to change the game for the better and 100's of chances to ruin it! Better put your work in!"

Jul 27, 2020
Good luck.
Give an update!

So fall season came to an end and had some developments with C2 that always seems to catch for my DD. During a tournament, coach wanted C2 to catch a game with my DD and she declined, so by default my DD got to pitch to C1. The next tournament she wasn’t used at all and was only used to warm up the P. No explanation or mention by coach. So we had one catcher an entire weekend which is not fair to C1, who caught every game. I’m glad my DD got to pitch to her but felt terribly bad for C1.

Seems like she may not want to catch anymore. I know she didn’t put in the work and didn’t go to any of the catching clinics that followed.

Not sure what the plan is for Spring and will be having position specific practices and see if she attends.

I feel like it was a waste of time for her to catch but I guess finding out now is better. Hopefully we get another experienced catcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
During a tournament, coach wanted C2 to catch a game with my DD and she declined,
Declined opportunity...
Ohhh geeez.
Not much can be done with that right?!!

Keep working dd's plan!
Stay focused and enjoy!

Jul 27, 2020
Declined opportunity...
Ohhh geeez.
Not much can be done with that right?!!

Keep working dd's plan!
Stay focused and enjoy!

Thanks RAD. Yup. Something we can’t control.

I always tell my DD if you get an opportunity, take it because you never know if you’ll ever get it again and you never know who will be watching.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thanks RAD. Yup. Something we can’t control.

I always tell my DD if you get an opportunity, take it because you never know if you’ll ever get it again and you never know who will be watching.

Great message about opportunity!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802