3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So annoying. I'm proud of my DD for being P1, but watching her face the harder teams with the worse line-up behind her gets old.
If your DD is a good pitcher, there are plenty of teams with good defense that would love to have her. I see this quite often and I ask myself, why is that player (usually a pitcher but not always) on that team. If your DD is by far the best player on her your team then you are on the wrong team.

Jun 7, 2020
So annoying. I'm proud of my DD for being P1, but watching her face the harder teams with the worse line-up behind her gets old.
So true. Only thing you can do is try not to let her know your feelings about the situation. My DD would say it was fine and it was more my problem than hers. In college there are several catchers, she definitely knows which one catches her best, but not her call if she gets her. when a pitcher starts to have speed and spin it makes it harder for the catchers who let the ball take them vs. sticking the pitch, framing will only get you so far ball still needs to be caught or blocked.

Jun 7, 2020
I see a lot of people are in favor of C2/3 going to P1 lessons to build trust/skills/mindset and curious do any C1 take lessons and have their P2/3 go and throw to them during lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
when my dd was younger she did go to catching lessons for her catcher. It built trust and a great relationship. there were games where one or the other had a bad day and they were able to pick each other up.

Jun 19, 2016
This is a long thread that I probably need to read to get the full appreciation but here is my two cents. My DD is a 1st year 14A high velocity pitcher.

In general, pitchers should be indifferent to who catches them. Most high level pitchers at 14U should have experience picking up and playing with a variety of different catchers. While my DD certainly has some catchers that she prefers over others....she would never dictate to a coach that she will only pitch to one certain catcher and I would never do so either.

With that said the best idea is not to include any primary catcher on your team that can't catch your best pitcher. Most 14U teams are carrying two catchers and they both better be able to catch your ace.

It is also a good idea to look for behaviors that catchers do that annoy pitchers and address it. I realize the OP is a college level catcher and probably knows all these things, but this is my list of things 14U catchers do to annoy their pitchers:

1. Not returning the ball properly - pitchers just want to catch the ball, check the runners if necessary, and get ready to throw the next pitch. Some catchers seem to fail to separate this simple task from throwing runners out. The pitcher wants the ball back at her chest and the appropriate speed for the situation. Cannon shots at the knees will make a pitcher grumpy really fast.

2. Keep the game moving - if your catcher is running back runners or throwing to first every pitch she is going to irritate her pitcher. Also failing to get the pitch signal in and get set quickly. When a pitcher is a groove they like to keep it that way.

3. Pulling the ball out of the strikezone or standing up - I see this one quite a bit because DD throws fast. Quite a few catchers will tend to give with the ball and pull it out of the strike zone. With good umpires this doesn't matter but not every blue is ready for the majors. Some watch the catcher's glove.

Oct 4, 2018
If your DD is a good pitcher, there are plenty of teams with good defense that would love to have her. I see this quite often and I ask myself, why is that player (usually a pitcher but not always) on that team. If your DD is by far the best player on her your team then you are on the wrong team.

The defense is good (in our case). That's not the issue. I was just commenting on how with P3 the best possible defense is out there but with P1 they let girls try new positions and such. It's not a big deal, just an observation.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
So true. Only thing you can do is try not to let her know your feelings about the situation. My DD would say it was fine and it was more my problem than hers. In college there are several catchers, she definitely knows which one catches her best, but not her call if she gets her. when a pitcher starts to have speed and spin it makes it harder for the catchers who let the ball take them vs. sticking the pitch, framing will only get you so far ball still needs to be caught or blocked.

Fine advice. While I like to have open and honest conversations with my girls, there are some ideas I just don't need to be putting in their heads. That's for sure, and sometimes I don't get it right.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With that said the best idea is not to include any primary catcher on your team that can't catch your best pitcher. Most 14U teams are carrying two catchers and they both better be able to catch your ace.
💡💰

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
1. Not returning the ball properly -
Cannon shots at the knees will make a pitcher grumpy really fast.
Lol funny! Cannon shots at the knees.
Much prefer not lazzering
the pitcher!
* YES please keep the pace of the game going with prompt crisp accurate chest high throws back to the pitcher!

There are a few things that catchers may notice about pitchers that are more or less desirable too!
😁

*Good read BrianTx01

My memories include being treated really well by pitchers and their families.
Never went without food and always had ice when I needed it. Thank you pitchers families. 🏆

Jun 19, 2016
Lol funny! Cannon shots at the knees.
Much prefer not lazzering
the pitcher!
* YES please keep the pace of the game going with prompt crisp accurate chest high throws back to the pitcher!

There are a few things that catchers may notice about pitchers that are more or less desirable too!
😁

*Good read BrianTx01

My memories include being treated really well by pitchers and their families.
Never went without food and always had ice when I needed it. Thank you pitchers families. 🏆
You will have those share those undesirable traits of pitchers. I just don't have any perspective because my DD is a pitcher.

Pitcher's families love great catchers as well. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy catching my DD. I am probably not as athletic as many bucket dad's. I can honestly say that catching my DD is a painful experience. Yes I can admit that I will beg and bribe a 13 or 14 year old catcher to come save me from having to catch DD's lessons or bullpens. She pitches up to 61 mph and if I don't catch it in the pocket of the mitt it stings like hell. The worst ones are the ones that catch my thumb. I have honestly found tacos to be a good incentive. I have thought about getting some of the catchers a shirt that says "Will catch for tacos".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad