3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Regarding critique criticism feedback~
Awkward things can also happen when the coach tells the catcher to
'get on the pitcher'
What exactly does that mean?...
Can also get lost in translation.
This can cause rifts.

That's why we have phrases like don't shoot the messenger. It's not only the delivery but it's what's in the actual message.

Certain communications should be handled at an appropriate time that may not be immediately on the mound. Once in a while it can be.
Should be a shared conversation respectfully so.

PS. 🙂To emphasize my point. This delivery...
Just because people can open their mouth and spew words doesn't mean they communicate well.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Boy, a lot of info here. Seems like folks forget this is a team sport and if winning is the goal, then individual stats are not important. Of course P#2 on a team will get more starts against weaker teams. Save P#1 for relief and starts against tough teams. Stats won't show it, but that's called coaching! Managing games throughout a tournament is coaching! As a parent do you really get a kick when DD mows down a weaker team? What is she learning?

Also, how a coach matches up a battery takes a lot of thought. Maybe the coach is trying to develop the other catchers? Its pretty easy to sit back and complain. Pitching lessons are a great time to build that relationship AND help develop catching skills. Its very common for a catcher to get a workout/instruction at pitching lessons too. What if your #1 catcher goes down with an injury? What if a better team cherry picks her? Then what? You better prepare for that. What lessons are you teaching DD when she decides her catcher? Like pitching, catching skills aren't something a kid is born with...

Also, if a young catcher blocks a changeup in the dirt, way to go! Great job! Your pitcher now knows if there is a runner on 3rd and a change up is called, she has confidence the catcher will keep the ball in front of her! That is trust. If that same catcher throws the drop 3rd strike to 1b without checking that runner on 3b first, maybe its a coaching moment! Don't discount that block of an off speed pitch in the dirt. That is a skill she learned. Teach her more game presence or game situations at practice.

Your DD a pitcher?

Jul 27, 2021
So annoying. I'm proud of my DD for being P1, but watching her face the harder teams with the worse line-up behind her gets old.
Sometimes the better player needs an easier game to have fun too. There should have some opportunity to try new pitches and things during a game instead of always being under pressure/in the hot seat to perform and get the win.

Jul 27, 2020
I see a lot of people are in favor of C2/3 going to P1 lessons to build trust/skills/mindset and curious do any C1 take lessons and have their P2/3 go and throw to them during lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2020
So annoying. I'm proud of my DD for being P1, but watching her face the harder teams with the worse line-up behind her gets old.

Agree with this. I can see it in my DD when I see who’s she’s warming up with. She always questions the decision and can see even she doesn’t understand it and gets old with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2011
Regarding critique criticism feedback~
Awkward things can also happen when the coach tells the catcher to
'get on the pitcher'
What exactly does that mean?...
Can also get lost in translation.
This can cause rifts.

That's why we have phrases like don't shoot the messenger. It's not only the delivery but it's what's in the actual message.

Certain communications should be handled at an appropriate time that may not be immediately on the mound. Once in a while it can be.
Should be a shared conversation respectfully so.

PS. 🙂To emphasize my point. This delivery...
Just because people can open their mouth and spew words doesn't mean they communicate well.
I don't like the idea of a catcher "getting on" a pitcher. That relationship should be a supportive one. I always tell catchers that their job is to make the pitcher look good. I believe the pitcher needs to know her catcher has her back. If a coach has something to say to the pitcher, then just say it.

Oct 4, 2018

Gotcha.

We pitcher's parents do nit-pick over stats and details more than others, from what I've experienced. We know it's a team effort, we know everyone needs to develop. But we also notice the finer details of the patterns and trends (good and bad) of when our DD pitches and when she doesn't. Some other parents might too, but we are pretty honed in on those things. I don't expect my DD to pitch to the best catcher and have the best defense behind her every game, but it usually produces a better outcome when she does.

Oct 4, 2018
Sometimes the better player needs an easier game to have fun too. There should have some opportunity to try new pitches and things during a game instead of always being under pressure/in the hot seat to perform and get the win.

It's a good point. Just this Saturday we were pleasantly surprised that my DD got one of the easier pool games. It let her try some "dangerous" stuff, like dropballs with two strikes and runners on, more change-ups, etc. that don't happen as often against better teams. And she had a great time and was happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812