3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am of the opinion that a good defender can be a better catcher then what this second catcher is described.

Coach needs to take a look at his roster and try to identify who is a possible catcher and approach her with the possibility of more playing time.
This is reasonable!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
14u no arm?.... no catch!
I mean come on, man.
Why did coach offer a catching spot on the team to a player with no arm?
Tell the parents team is looking for new catcher and when we find one Jenny is going to 1st base.
Well from 12u to 14u there is a talent jump...
That 12u pop time needs to get better.
Coaches probably hope that comes along.
Without paying attention to details ... at a certain point
After 2.2 , 2.1, 2.0 after that
Lowering pop time becomes incrementally more difficult.

Lol jenny is going to first base...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Lets remember arm strength and pop time are not the same thing. Seen catchers with cannons but they take forever to fire it.
Pet peeve is when they wait for SS to get to the bag.

Aug 21, 2020
Why don’t the pitchers invite the 2 catchers to catch them at their pitching lessons so they get more work? This will also help to improve the relationships.
This is something that our 14U coach insists on. Our DD's PC loves it because he can get a better view of the mechanics from the circle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I mean come on, man.
Tell the parents team is looking for new catcher and when we find one Jenny is going to 1st base.

In a related story...
My DD had a situation in HS ball ball (soph year) where she couldn't throw due to a rotator cuff strain. However, the #2 C was really inconsistent with her receiving, typically dropping multiple pitches per inning. It became a question of what's more important, receiving or throwing? HC started #2 C behind the plate for the team's first games of the year, believing that throwing was more important. It lasted partway through the second game when HC realized they were giving up more bases and runs on dropped pitches than they would be on non-throws. DD went behind the plate, never made the throwdown to 2B between innings, and tossed easy back to the P. She made a whole lot of fakes like she was going to backpick at 1B. Consistent, high-quality receiving changed the game for the entire team.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Coach was frustrated because said he was trying to be fair about playing time.
Fair does not mean exactly equal.

#1 catcher works harder and performs better. What's fair is that she plays more. #2 catcher needs to work harder to get better.

Unless we're talking very low levels or very young players, a coach should never promise equal playing time. A coach should promise equitable playing time. (Of course, that doesn't mean some girls should never ever play either; if you have someone who doesn't deserve to get on the field at all, you shouldn't have her on the team).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I mean come on, man.

Because throwing is the least important skill a catcher needs to have. I'll take a catcher who throws out literally no runners ever (I assume we mean on steals; she has to be able to field a bunt) if she is great at everything else.

We have the math on this now. Receiving/framing is just so, so much more important than any other tangible catching skill.

Give me a catcher who helps pitchers prevent batters from getting on base in the first place over a catcher who is good at throwing them out once they get on base.

Edit: In this case, the catcher who can't throw apparently isn't good at that other stuff either. I'm just speaking in general terms here.

Jun 27, 2021
Coach was frustrated because said he was trying to be fair about playing time.
One of the great lessons I learned as a coach had to deal with this sentence. A coach I spoke with often said something simple that changed the dynamic of how I coached he said "the day you I trying to make everyone happy, is the day I become a better coach." After that, roles were defined more and upfront conversations were had with parents. Competition breeds success but it also exposes that needing to move on.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Fair does not mean exactly equal.

#1 catcher works harder and performs better. What's fair is that she plays more. #2 catcher needs to work harder to get better.

Unless we're talking very low levels or very young players, a coach should never promise equal playing time. A coach should promise equitable playing time. (Of course, that doesn't mean some girls should never ever play either; if you have someone who doesn't deserve to get on the field at all, you shouldn't have her on the team).
Yes difference between fair!

Perhaps at this time the coach is learning the difference between a goal in 12u having Fair playing time to develop players... and now in 14u wanting to be competitive.
Now being fair on playing time is confronted with more performance requirements.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee