3 PICKY PITCHERS...or do they have a legit...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2018
My DD a pitcher is going through this now. 1 catcher is great, frames everything well, blocks and has nice throws to 2nd. 2nd catcher drops many pitches stands up catching rise balls and slaps down all low pitches. she make the pitchers look horrible i can't tell if the catcher is lazy, doesn't care or untrained. my DD tried to help her but it didn't work out well. my problem is the coaches just pull the pitcher and catcher and puts in new ones. My DD is losing it, she has to change how she pitches with this 1 catcher slow down pitches throw them down the middle and no rise or drops. if people ever doubted catchers influencing a game should come watch this 2nd catcher. It sucks for DD 95% of the people watching think its the pitcher falling apart.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD a pitcher is going through this now. 1 catcher is great, frames everything well, blocks and has nice throws to 2nd. 2nd catcher drops many pitches stands up catching rise balls and slaps down all low pitches. she make the pitchers look horrible i can't tell if the catcher is lazy, doesn't care or untrained. my DD tried to help her but it didn't work out well. my problem is the coaches just pull the pitcher and catcher and puts in new ones. My DD is losing it, she has to change how she pitches with this 1 catcher slow down pitches throw them down the middle and no rise or drops. if people ever doubted catchers influencing a game should come watch this 2nd catcher. It sucks for DD 95% of the people watching think its the pitcher falling apart.
Thanku for sharing that situation.
Have seen that and it does happen both positive or negative influence of catchers.
Is there anything you see as a sensible solution?
Look forward to more posts on this topic.

While I am not the coach of a team with this situation. It is not a place for me to say time to cut players. Or just pick up players to wedge out the others. Not my place to decide that for people.
That said I do know it's hard to pick up more players than you have a giant roster. And other catchers don't often want to come join a team that already has a catching staff. Difficult

Jan 31, 2011
I would say the coach needs to develop a good #2 catcher. Either work with the #2 or #3 catchers he has already, or get another player time behind the plate & develop her. Either way, a TB team needs 2 solid catchers. You know that pitcher/catcher relationship is so important. The trust has to be there.

If coach isn't going to correct this problem, the don't be surprised if pitchers leave.

Jul 27, 2020
12u here.

Legitimate gripe. Experiencing a similar situation with my DD. She is #1 pitcher and have a # 1 catcher. #2 and #3 pitchers are good but have a major drop off on #2 catcher and it’s obvious.

I feel C is a specialty position that requires a ton of work to get better and think lessons, clinics and work on own time need to be absolutely done. (I also know other positions require a ton of work as well and not discarding their importance)

If dedicated pitchers put in the work so should catchers. Hard working quality Pitchers shouldn’t be at a disadvantage when pitching to someone who isn’t up to their level. I don’t think it makes the team better and isn’t great mentally for pitchers.

If catcher doesn’t want to put in the work. Something needs to change.

I also think it works the other way. Pitchers need to get better and work on their craft just as hard as the hard working catchers. Nobody likes to see a catcher running around the backstop after balls that aren’t near the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Come on RAD, everyone knows great catchers are a dime a dozen, they're everywhere! Just can the other two catchers and pick up one more stud to go along with the number one catcher.....easy peasy, quit making things so difficult! :rolleyes: 😆

Okay, yeah I'm full of it!
I was around the pitching and SS side of softball, through Anna's career we've had some incredible catchers, I mean really good catchers! It's mind blowing how a great catcher changes the dynamics of a team, all the way around!

I've always said a bad to mediocre catcher is hard to watch, and a great catcher.....you can't take your eyes off of! I've told my DD many many times to go hug and thank her catcher after a game, and tell her you love her, she made you look great tonight!!

Jul 27, 2020
Come on RAD, everyone knows great catchers are a dime a dozen, they're everywhere! Just can the other two catchers and pick up one more stud to go along with the number one catcher.....easy peasy, quit making things so difficult! :rolleyes:

Okay, yeah I'm full of it!
I was around the pitching and SS side of softball, through Anna's career we've had some incredible catchers, I mean really good catchers! It's mind blowing how a great catcher changes the dynamics of a team, all the way around!

I've always said a bad to mediocre catcher is hard to watch, and a great catcher.....you can't take your eyes off of! I've told my DD many many times to go hug and thank her catcher after a game, and tell her you love her, she made you look great tonight!!

Couldn’t agree more with having a great catcher. Love watching catchers going all out, diving, setting up, framing, calling games, giving direction. Amazing to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
I highly dislike the practice of having designated pairings at the precollege level. Each P should throw to each catcher, so they are not strangers if injury or some other circumstance all of a sudden dictate that they work together. spread the pain, spread the wealth.

that being said, typically a #3 catcher knows they will not likely be getting prime innings. so with 2 Cs and 3 Ps, pretty easy to rotate so each P sees time with each C. does not have to be perfectly equal, but you gotta spread the time around.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am of the opinion that a good defender can be a better catcher then what this second catcher is described.

Coach needs to take a look at his roster and try to identify who is a possible catcher and approach her with the possibility of more playing time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
14u no arm?.... no catch!
I mean come on, man.
Why did coach offer a catching spot on the team to a player with no arm?
Tell the parents team is looking for new catcher and when we find one Jenny is going to 1st base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802