2nd yr. 12u POLL care to share reason?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should be the disciplinarian

• Parent

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Coach

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2015
What do you mean by discipline? When I think discipline I think brattiness, body language, back talk, poor sportsmanship etc which is a combination of parent and coach. If your talking about mental and physical errors then that's coaching

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To me, thats a different question than the original. Getting your kids to be respectful and paying attention should happen long before 12u softball.
See it as, it all falls under the catagory of discipline. And I agree respectful and paying attention should start befor 12u.

The conundrum so far in some responses is that if just sitting the player and pulling playing time is the problem solver
'the disciplinary action'.
Of which playing time is a huge factor of complaints by parents, and roster size is another concern.
Unfortunately parents can just pull their kid from the team and put them on another team because there will be another place for them to play...or sit.

How does the kid then get/learn discipline?
Who sets that standard of discipline?

Btw
Some coaches insert disciplinary action like Sprint's and burpees and other things like
push-ups and sit-ups to get players to respond. How about doing all that and sitting on the bench.

That time should be spent developing the team in my opinion.
Paying for somebody else to discipline children/players at practice and sit games seems peculiar to me.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Running, burpees, push ups, etc. should not be used as a discipline. They should be used to build core strength.

I agree with this:
"When I think discipline I think brattiness, body language, back talk, poor sportsmanship etc which is a combination of parent and coach. If your talking about mental and physical errors then that's coaching."
If the kid is a total jerk that probably should have been noticeable during tryout. Also the apple generally doesn't fall to far from the tree.

On another slightly different but related topic...Who is responsible for disciplining/setting rules for the parents? Coaches please do not tell the players to talk to their parents about their parents behavior. If you don't want parents coming to talk to their kids in the dugout then YOU talk to the parents. DO not send out kids to set rules for their parents.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Having some weird phone dfp glitching this morning... try again here.

In my original post I put it is time to have responsibilities on the field. Because I think there are responsibilities like When everybody is sprinting and one player is just running that's not the same effort. While other players are working on throwing accurately and another player doesn't care,
that's not the same effort.
Just examples
there are ways that players show physical brattiness also. (Or not applying for whatever reason)

Perhaps for many playing time is the disciplinary action coaches can utilize. But it does nothing to help the player who doesn't have personal discipline in the first place, who doesn't put out the effort. Sitting the bench is a happy result. If they have no standard set.
Sitting becomes standard.
Takes instilling discipline by disciplinary action.

As stated earlier the parents need to be on board...
Or else... this is a terrible battle for a coach to take on.
Which will generally result in just picking up another player.

As a coach I have never put myself in the role of being the disciplinarian.
I set standards and coach to those. If those requirements are not being met,
There can be a conversation with the player about there requirements of the standards on the field to know they understand them. And there can be a conversation with a player and parents about the standards on the field.
How that discipline needs to happen is up to the parents. I do not pick up another player to wedge an old player off the team. I set the standard for the player on the team if they don't step up in a matter of say a month to it, they will have to step off the team and open a spot for a new person player.

But I do notice coaches will just revoked playing time trying to send a message.
While they are picking up new players in the background.

Myself I do not keep players on the team if they do not have the discipline to hold themselves accountable to standard. And then just to collect a check from their parents.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
2 stories ..

1 a dad came to all his son's Baseball games, he'ld just sit quietly in stands. Son was disrespectful to coach, Dad was on the field of play after play was over yelling at his kid. Then sat the rest of the year in quiet peice again. Positive that is illegal in all rule sets and maybe laws.

2 DD was lacking effort for 2 games in a row, different days. Not disapline but I had a conversation with her. The gist of it was if she didn't want to play she could quit no harm too her. She did not have to play if she didn't want too. Next game she was playing RF and backed up a throw to 3rd throw runner out a home. She settled down, that was not what I was after either.

Parents and coaches is anwser but DW and me will take the lead. By choice DD had a lot of leeway.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Having some weird phone dfp glitching this morning... try again here.

In my original post I put it is time to have responsibilities on the field. Because I think there are responsibilities like When everybody is sprinting and one player is just running that's not the same effort. While other players are working on throwing accurately and another player doesn't care,
that's not the same effort.
Just examples
there are ways that players show physical brattiness also.

Perhaps for many playing time is the disciplinary action coaches can utilize. But it does nothing to help the player who doesn't have personal discipline in the first place, who doesn't put out the effort. Sitting the bench is a happy result. If they have no standard set anywhere there is no pressure to produce....
Takes instilling discipline by disciplinary action.

As stated earlier the parents need to be on board...
Or else... this is a terrible battle for a coach to take on.
Which will generally result in just picking up another player.

As a coach I have never put myself in the role of being the disciplinarian.
I set standards and coach to those. If those requirements are not being met,
There can be a conversation with the player about there requirements of the standards on the field to know they understand them. And there can be a conversation with a player and parents about the standards on the field.
How that discipline needs to happen is up to the parents. I do not pick up another player to wedge an old player off the team. I set the standard for the player on the team if they don't step up in a matter of say a month to it, they will have to step off the team and open a spot for a new person player.

But I do notice coaches will just revoked playing time trying to send a message.
While they are picking up new players in the background.

Myself I do not keep players on the team if they do not have the discipline to hold themselves accountable to standard. And then just to collect a check from their parents.
Thought I better add a little disclaimer on this:
the reason I take this approach is because I know families raise their children differently.

Also because the standards that I set on the field may not be the goal of the player and family. Could be set to high or maybe too low but the ladder is probably not the case.😎

I also disagree with just sitting players because it takes away their opportunity of potential. However I do keep a conversation about it until it improves or removes.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
2 stories ..

1 a dad came to all his son's Baseball games, he'ld just sit quietly in stands. Son was disrespectful to coach, Dad was on the field of play after play was over yelling at his kid. Then sat the rest of the year in quiet peice again. Positive that is illegal in all rule sets and maybe laws.

2 DD was lacking effort for 2 games in a row, different days. Not disapline but I had a conversation with her. The gist of it was if she didn't want to play she could quit no harm too her. She did not have to play if she didn't want too. Next game she was playing RF and backed up a throw to 3rd throw runner out a home. She settled down, that was not what I was after either.

Parents and coaches is anwser but DW and me will take the lead. By choice DD had a lot of leeway.
#2 is an honest great chat!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812