2nd yr. 12u POLL care to share reason?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should be the disciplinarian

• Parent

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Coach

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
On a second-year 12u travel team who is responsible for holding accountable the players to the standard on the field...
Who now need discipline or rather
'a disciplinarian'.

Let me set the stage for this.
The players are not new to softball.
Coaches have already gone through all the standard drills and how to play. Except for now it comes a time for players to have
'responsibilities on the field.'
So who has the responsibility of discipline?

Parent?
Coach?

Because at some point having standards comes down to discipline.
Who do you want disciplining?
Should it be the parent if the player doesn't have discipline?
or
Should it be the coach if the player doesn't have discipline?

Purposely left 'player' out of the choices because this is a question/conundrum that comes up because the player doesn't have discipline.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
Twin Cities
I dont understand your question. The coach's only "discipline" should be lack of playing time. If a parent is doling out discipline for sports, they have mental issues.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I dont understand your question. The coach's only "discipline" should be lack of playing time. If a parent is doling out discipline for sports, they have mental issues.
So your answer is the coach should be the disciplinarian. Can you select a pole choice?
Just for poll results. Thnx

Sep 19, 2018
2nd year 12U, Coach. Parents should be their cheerleader. Give them the opportunities to get better. They know what they did wrong and usually don't feel good about it. No need to make them feel worse. It is not easy though. DD (#2) just joined a travel volley ball club. DD#3 is the softball player. There are a few videos that are recommended viewing when joining. I think they are great videos for parents of any sport.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just stirring up conversation in a chat room 🙂

So far parents shouldnt be complaining when their child sits the bench.
( hahhaaa like that happens)

How long will parents let there child ride the bench...

While the coach finds a replacement?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The coach is disciplinarian. And disciplines by playing time. Not playing or being in the lineup and a sit down talk by the coach should be the message sent.

IMO, a parents roll is to support the coaches and team by supporting their child/player. Investment in softball isn't much different than investment in school. Homework is homework. As a parent my job is to find ways to make sure they're completing their sports homework. If that's being done then it should reflect itself on the field. If the player still isn't working on the homework or purposefully not following along per the drills/strategy worked on during team practices.....see above. Coach sits them and may need to have a one-on-one talk. Or decide the fit isn't good.

The grey area could be issues with sportsmanship and how a player treats opposing players or even her own teammates/coaches. That's an area where I could see the coach AND the parent handing out discipline. Not that it's been in issue, but DD knows that won't be tolerated and would result in missing softball as a whole.

Nov 4, 2015
Hard for me to answer the poll because it really depends on the action that causes the discipline to be warranted. Not running out a ground ball or repeatedly missing signs is the coach's job to deal with. Disrespecting the coach and bad attitude needs a lot of parent attention. The parent and coach really need to be on the same page for any disciple to work.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The parent and coach really need to be on the same page for any disciple to work.
Good point.
Who starts to develop this and ultimatly has the role,
is the reason for the poll.

Alright lets see how poll accumulates!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Does that mean the parents are setting the standard of having discipline?

It certainly helps in my opinion. Of course this is all very high level. Level of play comes in as a factor. C, B, or A. I'd be WAY more forgiving at the C level than say B or A. Even then....the kids are so young they could be fighting changing bodies as much as anything of practice. So it's definitely a case by case thing.

In my previous post I'm seeing a scenario of blatantly ignoring team drills/strategy or it being visibly noticeable they aren't working outside of team practices. In those instances the coach has full rights to sit that player and reward those that are doing the work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478