2nd Baseman Responsibilities

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks, everyone for their comments. Will continue to work with our 2nd basemen.. Biggest challenge is getting them to think about what they need to do before each pitch. Every time the ball is hit, there's a split second delay as they process things. That's why they are slow to the bag. Happens even if I remind them right before the pitch to cover a bag. But again, it's rec, so they're learning.

As they get it wrong and you calming talk to them, they'll get it. It'll come, just be patient.

Nov 18, 2018
I think you have found out your answer here but I thought I would chime in. Thinking that 2nd base is where you hide a player is flawed. 2nd base has to many responsibility's to be your weakest player. When we were at 10u level we also tried to get everyone time on the infield but never just picked out a position and said our weakest players should go there. It was more about where could the player be the most effective and grow, so sometimes that was 2nd and for some that was another spot on the infield. At a young age you are trying to develop the girls not win the world series.

Jun 4, 2019
I may have missed your age group, but I always keep the 1st baseman at the bag at 10u/12u. Having 4 player converge on a bunt is too many at that age, IMO. And the 1B is the last option in most scenarios anyways.

We crash them all in HS.

Jul 31, 2019
Unless it’s a LH pitcher

In straight corner coverage, the options in order of preference are:

3B
C
P
1B

for LHP, the 1B becomes the 3rd option

flipping the 2B in coverage is a great way to cover against faster runners if your 1B is not so athletic. It’s a variation of a slap coverage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802