22May23 - Start of Iowa HS Softball Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Playing school ball while school is not even in session seems really odd. Not sure how something like that would even get started, and at the very least by now they would have looked around at every other state and said we need to fix this.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Playing school ball while school is not even in session seems really odd. Not sure how something like that would even get started, and at the very least by now they would have looked around at every other state and said we need to fix this.
I have never understood this either. Can someone from Iowa elaborate? Give a positive or two? I can think of none. Besides the afore mentioned seniors playing a full season after they graduate, add in:
  • Summer vacation conflicts
  • Summer job conflicts
  • Travel ball conflicts
  • School admins having to be present for home games
And many more people smarter than me can think of......seems like a bigger headache than a usual season during school.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Soccer is a fall sport in most states, as it is in colleges. Why wouldn't you match the seasons?
Apparently GA is all mixed up -
We have softball in the fall and soccer in the spring
Flag football and Basketball start right after softball (so some girls that play both miss those for softball playoffs)
We do CC in the fall and Track in the spring. My daughter wanted to do CC but it overlapped
My only real issue is Tennis starts Jan - and it's COLD (even though it's GA)
My daughter hated the skirts anyway and always wore the track pants to play.

Nov 18, 2013
Do you think eventually Iowa will change to a Spring schedule?

I know each state has some different wrinkles... it's interesting that Iowa has an association for boys and then a seperate association for girls.

I also don't understand why all states are not hosting their state tournaments at 'State U.' Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and previously Kentucky all finish(ed) their season at community parks.

... just a few observations.

I don’t understand Minnesota using a city park either. Especially since it’s held during the week and so far from the metro area not many fans can attend. Not to mention the boys baseball state tourney is at the MN Twins home field.

May 29, 2015
Do you think eventually Iowa will change to a Spring schedule?

I know each state has some different wrinkles... it's interesting that Iowa has an association for boys and then a seperate association for girls.

I also don't understand why all states are not hosting their state tournaments at 'State U.' Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and previously Kentucky all finish(ed) their season at community parks.

... just a few observations.

To be fair, that "community park" in Illinois where it had been (Eastside Center in East Peoria) was far nicer than the vast majority of high school fields. I don't know where it was before that ... ISU or U of I? Maybe?

This year it moved to a privately owned complex (Louisville Slugger in Peoria) with a "stadium" that was built with the intent of housing a pro fastpitch team.

But yes, I agree it should be hosted at a state college campus with a "stadium." Promote the game and education in the state.

May 18, 2022
I don’t understand Minnesota using a city park either. Especially since it’s held during the week and so far from the metro area not many fans can attend. Not to mention the boys baseball state tourney is at the MN Twins home field.
It would be fun to watch the championship games at Cowles.

I can go either way, I can understand schools and parents appreciating getting it done in two days at Caswell. As opposed to baseball where the A and AA play in St. Cloud for two days, then a day off and then the championship games are played at CHS field. If one of the northern teams makes a run that's a lot of extra travel another two nights in a hotel. I think 4A is the only class that plays all of their games at CHS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802