2021 HS Grad Check-in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
During her hot times people ask me why she didn't choose a P5 school and when she struggles we sometimes wonder if she can cut it at a mid major. At the end of the day the fact that she would attend the school even if she didn't play softball is enough for me.

This is what it’s all about in the end - finding where she belongs no matter what happens.

Plus, I have a pretty good feeling she will do great things there. 😉

Apr 9, 2020
it has been a long and unique path taken by these kids in 21 class, first the rule change that made the junior year a much more important year, yes most coaches should have them on radar before then, but kids mature at different rates. then the virus hits and now so much unknown , they give extra year to athletes (some programs played 30 games before it hit and some 2 ), now you have log jam in the program who is coming back who is coming in... plus you have the kids waiting their turn to get playing time for the upper classman to graduate, she is coming back most likely not to sit. so now that under classman transfers. the new coach is deciding to take a somewhat proven player with experience or our unproven incoming student.. plus the schools themselves don't know if they will even have a program, job etc. so if your daughter has an opportunity to play for a team at a school that checks her boxes first and foremast academically then it is something she should truly contemplate even if it is not her first choice when this process started. in the end it is an education we are all hopefully striving for with the bonus of playing a sport they love.. my daughters radius of where she dreamed of playing changed during pandemic as she wanted to be closer to home. never ever wanted to play closer to home mostly because of weather but like I expressed in previous post she took upon herself to cultivate and put herself out there to the best of her ability online and calling coaches. she found a home that we never knew existed until we opened our horizons. it truly checked all her boxes.. and I'm sure like most of us regardless of what money is offered with all time travel lessons and gear we have invested in we are gonna still be in the red lol. we just want a better life for our kids then we had and for them to be happy. the spot she was offered was based on videos posted to twitter, sent in specific emails to coaches, a call from her travel organization coach. mind you this coach has never seen her play live and even has only spoken over zoom never met in person. we did take ride to the campus prior as well as some others that had shown interest. we were able to meet with an athletic admissions counselor to take us around and show us campus and amenities ( we were blown away nicer than some we saw in the south ) the indoor training center has the largest in the northeast with full 120 yard field . yes the counselor was friends with coach and said nice things about my daughter and about him. the softball team was working out in athlete only gym ( we did not even say hi). she said even without softball she felt this would be a place she would want to come and learn. two days later they zoomed and he made the offer... before she verbally committed or posted it she called another coach who made her offer truly based on her videos and talking within 24hrs. he said his staff thought he was nuts when they spoke but he saw something as he described it. she called him to to tell him that he was the first to offer her doing these troubled times and she would never forget it but this other school was a better fit academically for her. she said please don't hold it against me but I wanted you to be the first to know.. he said the fact she called him first cemented the feeling he got of what he saw and says he will always root for her except when they play against her (same conference lol).. my dad always says there is and rear for every seat. just have to find the empty one and make sure it is a comfy one.. I hope all kids get to a place where she belongs and truly enjoys all life has to offer them..be safe and happy holidays

Jul 27, 2015
In 8th grade I was hoping my daughter would be able to make the local community college team.

In 9th grade she started getting looks and emails from D3 schools.

In 10th grade, she got her first D3 offers, and she picked out some reach/dream DII schools.

In 11th grade, she made a big leap pitching wise and ended up with D1 to D3 offers, mostly unsolicited.

She ended up going to her original dream/reach DII school from 10th grade. It was the by far the best choice academically and softball wise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee