2020 NFHS Updates

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
This was asked about in another thread, but I figured it should probably be its own thread for the sake of conversation.

Here is my quick and dirty summary of changes in NFHS for 2020 ...

Three rules changes

1) Addition of “damaged bat” as a bat status (previously considered “illegal” — now a “damaged bat” is just removed from play).

2) No longer requiring the pitcher to be in contact with the top of the pitcher’s plate.

3) A run no longer scores if a preceding runner is the called out on an appeal for the third out of the inning.

Points of Emphasis

1) Acceptable bat stamps and non-approved bat list (key point: new USA stamp added)

2) It is THE HEAD COACH’S RESPONSIBILITY to ensure all players are properly and legally equipped. It is recommended coaches check equipment before every contest. Umpires may inspect equipment, but are not required to.

3) Penalty for damaged bat versus penalty for an illegal bat

4) Pitcher’s foot placement for a legal starting position

Three “Major Editorial Changes”

1) Site managers or a state administrator can establish a dead-ball media area within the field confines

2) Addition of USA stamp to acceptable bat stamps

3) Clarification on the penalty for using detached equipment applying to runners and the batter-runner, NOT the batter

There are another 20 or so editorial changes (in addition to the three “major” ones) that will take me a bit to get through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802