2020 Mizuno Power Carbon Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I do agree. When you mishit a ball with the PC, it feels strange. But, strangely, I like the instant feedback that the bat gives me because it gives me something to work on with my swing. I can best describe the feeling as when you would go out on a cold, winter day (I don't know how cold it gets where you live...but, where I am...it can get pretty cold) but it feels to a degree like when you would go out and hit a ball in the cold with how it stings your hand. And the effect varies on how badly you've botched hitting the ball. I think that's why a lot of girls don't like the bat. It's telling them they're hitting the ball wrong. But I do like how using the PC has improved my hitting when I switch back to the ghost.
Nice breakdown on the feedback, so girls who don’t correctly stay inside the ball will especially dislike the PC?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Had both the 2019 and 2020 Power Carbon bats. The 2019 had some decent pop but the durability was terrible. Broke two of the 2019 Power Carbons in 5 weeks. Returned the 2019 Power Carbon and had to wait 6 weeks for a replacement 2020 Power Carbon. Finally got the 2020 Power Carbon and the bats is a piece of crap. (n)

Live and learn I guess:confused:

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
I've posted this elsewhere. 18U DD just started using her 33/-10 power carbon a few weeks ago and loves it. Her first game swing was centerfield homerun (she's a line drive hitter not a homerun hitter). It is loud; kind of like a Xeno. It does provide more feedback than her LXT...which is kind of a no-s**tter because it's a 2-piece bat, not a 3-piece (Xenos provide feedback too). It is lighter and more balanced than DDs 33/-10 Ghost which is a de facto end-loaded 33/-9.

To the comment about no pop on the outer half of the barrel, I couldn't disagree more. DD just got done with two high level 18U club tournaments. Pitchers at that level live on the outside edge of the plate. DD has been successful at using the outer half of the barrel to put those outside-edge pitches into the opposite field. That only happens with a decent outside half of the barrel. The purple trim matches her future college colors so there's that too :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
I've posted this elsewhere. 18U DD just started using her 33/-10 power carbon a few weeks ago and loves it. Her first game swing was centerfield homerun (she's a line drive hitter not a homerun hitter). It is loud; kind of like a Xeno. It does provide more feedback than her LXT...which is kind of a no-s**tter because it's a 2-piece bat, not a 3-piece (Xenos provide feedback too). It is lighter and more balanced than DDs 33/-10 Ghost which is a de facto end-loaded 33/-9.

To the comment about no pop on the outer half of the barrel, I couldn't disagree more. DD just got done with two high level 18U club tournaments. Pitchers at that level live on the outside edge of the plate. DD has been successful at using the outer half of the barrel to put those outside-edge pitches into the opposite field. That only happens with a decent outside half of the barrel. The purple trim matches her future college colors so there's that too :)
Agree with panthadad...the outer half of the barrel has worked quite well for both of my DD's this year (33/ -9).

Oct 1, 2014
USA
The 2020 Power Carbon has performed great all year long for my kids and thankfully held up much better than the 2019 version which cracked early on for us (easy warranty replacement). Dingers galore, many extra base hits and just a ton of work done with this bat! Would not hesitate to buy this bat again or recommend it to anyone (especially when purchased from that CoreSoftball dude....ridiculously good prices, service, fast shipping and all that stuff (despite what ya'll say about him)!

Sep 8, 2015
My daughter personally loves the bat. She hasn’t put it down since last season. We have the 2019. It has been a tank. She had her first OTF with it and has hit the fence several more times. She isn’t a big girl, 5’4” almost 14 year old.

We have both noticed that it has started making a different sound and has become much louder. No visual damage, but it if I hit it against my hand, I can hear what sounds like the inner barrel hitting the outside barrels. Distinctive “clack” sound.

Ball is still jumping off it. She swung a few different bats that we had laying around Today. A UTRIP Ghost and Demarini Insane. Was still getting more distance with the PC. So she will keep swinging until it breaks.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If you are hitting well with a bat...then after a while...you don't. Prob not the bat...prob more likely something changed
with the hitter. Maybe grew out of that size, maybe she got stronger or just not hitting well due to better pitchers or slump and just
have to change it up for confidence purposes.
If you were doing just fine, now your not squaring balls up (hitting balls off the endcap or fists)...something else is more likely wrong. The ss on a bat doesn't change and all of a sudden get smaller and make you mishit balls. But a bat that is too heavy or light will, or lack
of confidence or tougher pitching or a few different things can and will.

Dd had
My daughter personally loves the bat. She hasn’t put it down since last season. We have the 2019. It has been a tank. She had her first OTF with it and has hit the fence several more times. She isn’t a big girl, 5’4” almost 14 year old.

We have both noticed that it has started making a different sound and has become much louder. No visual damage, but it if I hit it against my hand, I can hear what sounds like the inner barrel hitting the outside barrels. Distinctive “clack” sound.

Ball is still jumping off it. She swung a few different bats that we had laying around Today. A UTRIP Ghost and Demarini Insane. Was still getting more distance with the PC. So she will keep swinging until it breaks.
Dd had 2019 that did the same thing but hits lost a lot of distance. Called in they shipped 2020 replacement have not had any more trouble still hitting great.

Apr 28, 2019
If you are hitting well with a bat...then after a while...you don't. Prob not the bat...prob more likely something changed
with the hitter. Maybe grew out of that size, maybe she got stronger or just not hitting well due to better pitchers or slump and just
have to change it up for confidence purposes.
If you were doing just fine, now your not squaring balls up (hitting balls off the endcap or fists)...something else is more likely wrong. The ss on a bat doesn't change and all of a sudden get smaller and make you mishit balls. But a bat that is too heavy or light will, or lack
of confidence or tougher pitching or a few different things can and will.
I’ve seen both positive and negative reviews on the PC’s. From what I’ve seen the one piece seems to get more consistent positive reviews.
The PC has complaints of small sweet spot and stinging the hands.
I recently viewed a video review of a guy that has his own retail softball/baseball store and sells all brands.
The feedback from this guy was in line with what I have been seeing and hearing from reviews and word of mouth.
He rated the top bats as follows:
Best bats for Power Hitters:
1) Ghost
1A) Xeno
3) RXT

Best more balanced lighter swinging bats:
1) Prism
2) CF
3) LXT
4) Power Carbon
***The RXT was a distant 3rd based on price and fact it seems to have break-in period.
*** The Power Carbon was a distant 4th due to small sweet spot.
*** Curious omission was Quatro Pro. Of the reviews I have seen it’s up there with Ghost & Xeno but again comments about break-in period take away from Rawlings.
*** Another curios omission was Mizuno Carbon 1.
The RXT and Power Carbon were very disappointing in terms of sales to date. Very high expectations for both bats but either haven’t been tested enough yet or perhaps just not the bats of choice.
I know personally I was close to buying a 2020 PC recently. I had my eye on one that sold very cheap but the lackluster reviews had me shy away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802