2020 Mizuno Power Carbon Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
Well, my DD has finished up her season. She is a first year 12u and began using the Power Carbon, 31" drop 10 in June. First tournament she had quite a few quality shots with it and she was hooked. As the season went on, her performance went down and down. She made lots of contact but her base hits were line drives just over the infield. She wasn't making good solid shots, just kind of dinking and dunking her way to hits. The sweet spot is small on this bat. My DD tends to hit the ball on the outer half of the bat from the middle to the end of the bat. There is no pop whatsoever in that area. Therefore, her hits up the middle sounded like good hits but they would just die and the SS or 2nd base would end up getting to the ball and throwing her out. It sounds a lot like most Louisvilles just without the pop. I saw a lot of good reviews of the 2019 Mizunos and other than a paint job there weren't any major changes to the bat itself so we were excited. However, after the Spring season, my DD will be going back to Demarini this next fall. A little disappointed but nonetheless, my DD will learn and move on from this. This is just my opinion but I wanted to get it out there for any prospective buyers. It may work with your DD's swing, just not mine. Also, our HC's DD had the same bat and went back to her Zen before the season's end. So we are going back to ol' reliable Demarini.

Jul 3, 2019
USA
I have to agree with you! My daughter uses the 2020 PC 31/21 in USSSA tournaments, and she definitely doesn't seem to hit as well or as far as she does when using her Ghost. She was using the PC this past weekend and my husband noticed it was making a weird sound when she hit, along with the ball not going anywhere at contact - he thinks the bat is broken, so I have a ticket in with the Mizuno warranty people, waiting to see what to do next!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I have to agree with you! My daughter uses the 2020 PC 31/21 in USSSA tournaments, and she definitely doesn't seem to hit as well or as far as she does when using her Ghost. She was using the PC this past weekend and my husband noticed it was making a weird sound when she hit, along with the ball not going anywhere at contact - he thinks the bat is broken, so I have a ticket in with the Mizuno warranty people, waiting to see what to do next!

Only thinking here...are the bats the same size? I ask that because the Ghost runs about an ounce over. So maybe the
PC is too light and she get more drive out of the Ghost.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019
USA
Only thinking here...are the bats the same size? I ask that because the Ghost runs about an ounce over. So maybe the
PC is too light and she get more drive out of the Ghost.
They are the same size! She also prefers the Ghost, so she uses that when she's with her hitting coach. But I bought the PC based on reviews here, so I am hoping we get a replacement and she can get it broken in over fall and winter!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
They are the same size! She also prefers the Ghost, so she uses that when she's with her hitting coach. But I bought the PC based on reviews here, so I am hoping we get a replacement and she can get it broken in over fall and winter!

Thats what I figured...the PC runs lighter than a Ghost. So if you have a 31/21 PC and 31/21 Ghost...the PC will be close
to 21 and the Ghost will be 22oz or so. So maybe the PC is a little too light for her and the Ghost fits just right :)

Unfortunately, you cant get a 31/22 PC to make them more close in weight to each other

As for the og post...I cant even get into that one...haha.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Thats what I figured...the PC runs lighter than a Ghost. So if you have a 31/21 PC and 31/21 Ghost...the PC will be close
to 21 and the Ghost will be 22oz or so. So maybe the PC is a little too light for her and the Ghost fits just right :)

I agree with this. I tried a Power Carbon at a place around me that sells them and when I tried a 33/23 it seemed a little light to me. When I tried the 33/24 model, it seemed just right to me. I like having the Power Carbon in my bat bag as an on-field option in case I don't want to use my ghost.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I agree with this. I tried a Power Carbon at a place around me that sells them and when I tried a 33/23 it seemed a little light to me. When I tried the 33/24 model, it seemed just right to me. I like having the Power Carbon in my bat bag as an on-field option in case I don't want to use my ghost.
I agree with gabby, our HS HC wanted to buy a team bat and was standing in our equipment suppliers office. He called me and I asked if he had a 33/23 Power Carbon, he said yep, we have one! When I got to practice after work, and everyone had already hit it, when I picked it up the first thing I thought was It's just way too light, wished we would have bought a -9 PC, or even a 34/24.

Pretty sure he'd sell it, it's just sitting in our equipment building, it's had one day of use! Every single girl on the team turned their nose up at it, wouldn't give it the time of day!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Because too light or not a "regular" brand?
Well half of them because they're just dumb and the other half (including my DD) because it just doesn't feel like a LXT or Ghost! But I will say, if you hit a ball out towards the end, it's a strange feeling bat! One way I describe it is it feels almost identical to a 2014 LXT that Anna broke, but the PC isn't broke!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
But I will say, if you hit a ball out towards the end, it's a strange feeling bat! One way I describe it is it feels almost identical to a 2014 LXT that Anna broke, but the PC isn't broke!

I do agree. When you mishit a ball with the PC, it feels strange. But, strangely, I like the instant feedback that the bat gives me because it gives me something to work on with my swing. I can best describe the feeling as when you would go out on a cold, winter day (I don't know how cold it gets where you live...but, where I am...it can get pretty cold) but it feels to a degree like when you would go out and hit a ball in the cold with how it stings your hand. And the effect varies on how badly you've botched hitting the ball. I think that's why a lot of girls don't like the bat. It's telling them they're hitting the ball wrong. But I do like how using the PC has improved my hitting when I switch back to the ghost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802