2020 Mizuno Power Carbon Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
So your telling me bat manufactures don’t use colleges to test bats and get feedback?

Yes. Because it’s so minimal big picture. Feel free to argue, which you will. Because of what you read on Justbats and DorkyDadRanksBats

Not sure if you’ve noticed but colleges have new bats before the general public.

Lol! Yeah That’s exactly how it works....... if you are top 10 program in a P5 conference or you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Local college coach told me when bat contracts are up they bring in other bats to test and get feedback from players what they like. They moved from Slugger to Easton last season.
Obviously money is a BIG factor but bat companies need feedback and “real world” testing to make their claims and set their marketing.

Uh huh. Competitive school was it? Did you show him any of your lists?

As a coach I would want my girls to be happy with what their swinging but with 20 plus players one manufacturer would be a tough sell and you can’t please everybody.

Thats why it doesn’t happen. Not everyone is swinging what they want.

Bring in as many bats as possible and get a general consensus of the team who likes what. Bring your findings to AD or whoever makes such equipment decisions and give them your favorites/choices.

Sure thing. That’s exactly how it works. Just tell Santa what bat you want and the tooth fairy puts delivers whatever bats the coach wants via unicorn. Because “Brand X” is the best for every hitter on the team.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Focus on anything but Dingers. When you think dinger you hit nothing.
Just depends on the hitter! My DD is 5’0” and is a buck thirty five, we were in a showcase at Winthrop college, she hit the HC who was coaching 3B hard, scary hard with a foul ball. We’ve all seen it happen, this one gave the crowd that loud collective sigh.

After play resumed in 5 or 6 minutes, she stood with the HC and the field ump and said “don’t worry coach, I’ll lose this one for you!” She hit the next pitch 250’ in dead center field.

She’s hit a bunch of HR’s, that one was in 16U and still the farthest one I’ve ever seen her hit!

I don’t know how old your girls are but chances are they’re bigger than my DD, I know exactly what you mean about solely focusing on home runs. When she started hitting dingers in the 10th grade I knew it was going to ruin her, my focus was always on throttling her back a little until I felt confident and believed her when she kept telling me she was focusing on line drives in gaps and not homers! Girls lie though!

Feb 12, 2014
Just want to chime in here that DD has been using a PC for nearly a year and loves it. We have not experienced any stinging in the hands nor noticed a small sweet spot. The bat does swing light, so we went to a -9 for her. She loves it.

We did buy a new Rockettech in anticipation of cold school-ball weather. Just for kicks, we did some exit velocity testing a few weeks ago after buying the Rocketech. Mizuno PC out hit the Rocketech, an ASA Ghost, and a 2017 Xeno.

The PC had both the highest exit velo of any bat (76 mph off a tee) and had the highest average exit velo (15 swings off a tee dropping both the high and low). The Rockettech had the second highest exit velo and the Ghost had the second highest average exit velo.

From our experience, the Mizuno PC is a hidden gem and a huge value when shopping with Core. It's the best bat on the market for DD and we have the numbers to prove it.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
And again, each person has a bat and weight that suits them best. One bat that hits great for one, may not hit great
for another due to weight/feel diffs. That's what makes bats so fun (and why bats are so much more fun than
gloves...hi AD :)).

Take reviews for what they are. There are terrible good reviews and terrible bad reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Focus on anything but Dingers. When you think dinger you hit nothing.
Well as I have posted before, I have nothing against dingers, but I focus on line-drives. Dingers are a by-product of my girl's mechanics. Keep in mind that I recommend girls for the Junior National Team, but I am not a member of the selection committee; that includes only Filipinos who often are clueless. To give you an example of a mindless approach to this issue, there is a big awkward 1B that was in the National Tournament. There were many players who hit .400 to over .600. She hit one change-up for a base-hit, and one long home run over the center field fence during a semi-final game. The brass chose her as one of the 30 girls to try out for the 18U Junior National team. Her batting average for the tournament was .049. ZERO-FORTY-NINE! Her only hit in the previous qualifying tournament was also off of a change-up. She would have hit about .025 in that tournament, but "Oh, that homerun was so pretty!" And what happens when she gets up against the best pitching in the world next March if her bat speed is primarily somewhere between changeup and 55mph?

Focus on exit speeds within the frame-work of consistent hard contact. An occasional dinger does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Well as I have posted before, I have nothing against dingers, but I focus on line-drives. Dingers are a by-product of my girl's mechanics. Keep in mind that I recommend girls for the Junior National Team, but I am not a member of the selection committee; that includes only Filipinos who often are clueless. To give you an example of a mindless approach to this issue, there is a big awkward 1B that was in the National Tournament. There were many players who hit .400 to over .600. She hit one change-up for a base-hit, and one long home run over the center field fence during a semi-final game. The brass chose her as one of the 30 girls to try out for the 18U Junior National team. Her batting average for the tournament was .049. ZERO-FORTY-NINE! Her only hit in the previous qualifying tournament was also off of a change-up. She would have hit about .025 in that tournament, but "Oh, that homerun was so pretty!" And what happens when she gets up against the best pitching in the world next March if her bat speed is primarily somewhere between changeup and 55mph?

Focus on exit speeds within the frame-work of consistent hard contact. An occasional dinger does nothing for me.
Exactly line drives & hard ground balls. Anything hit hard gives the defense less reaction time which is a positive. Unless of course you hit the ball right at somebody.
Line drives will find holes more often than not and at times the bat angle will produce home run trajectory.

Jun 19, 2016
The one piece Carbon seems to be getting all the rage around here. It probably vibrates to no end if you miss the sweet spot but it launches the ball.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The one piece Carbon seems to be getting all the rage around here. It probably vibrates to no end if you miss the sweet spot but it launches the ball.
Because good college hitters realize if you dont hit the ss, its gonna give feedback. So they understand that.

Their first choice of bat isnt how well it covers the feedback when they mishit a ball :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom