2020 Demarini Prism owner's discussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2018
Just an observation. Went to Michigan vs Illinois games last couple of days. Got there early for BP. Both teams swing Demarini. Most swing Zens, half a dozen or so CF8, a few CFX, maybe 1 Cf9...didn't see a prism.

Apr 20, 2015
I'm really debating which one to get my DD who is 13, but still plays 12U (lucky her with an early '06 bday). She's swinging a 31/20 CFX, but I'm torn between getting her the 31/21 Prism, or getting her the 32/21. It sounds like they may swing light, but just wondering what anyone else's thoughts would be on it. I think jumping to the 32/22 might be too much of a change, but what do I know? She's 5'6" and probably 125ish...
My 06 12u 5ft 4 100lbs easily swings a 32/22 demarini as does nearly every other member of her team that's near her size. I'd go up!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
My 11 y.o. '08, 5'1" 80 lb. DD swings the 31/21 CF9. They swing so light, that she's not looking at any -ll in the CF series. Now if we're talking LS Xeno she drops and inch and and goes -ll.

Jun 6, 2018
Here is a good comparison

No that video is garbage and he even updated to say it was. That was not apples to apples comparison as prism was right out the wrapper and the others were well seasoned. He indicated in follow up video that prism was coming to life after a couple weeks of swings and was almost as far/further than the cf zen that was well seasoned.

The prism for the few using it so far is starting to come alive for girls using it. Exit speeds have been within 1-2 miles of ghost,lxt,xeno,power carbons that have been used more.

To me it comes down to what your daughter is most comfortable with.

Apr 28, 2019
I'm fighting the urge so I'll be watching this closely. Been bitten with bat buying bug big time. So many size options right now. Got her (14 5'7 135ish) a 32 21 CF9, thats been primary, but found a 32 22 CF6 she's working with and ball jumping good and thinking will be better against live pitching with the extra ounce behind it. Now if/when go prism...32/21 32/22 33/22 or 33/23...lol. Know drop 11s coming in June. Been working hard last 4 months to get ready for season.
I would go 33”22 if your daughter is 5’7”. Any girl over 5’5” will benefit from little longer bat. You have to also consider players weight and strength/bat speed. Worst case scenario she will grow into it.

Apr 23, 2017
If you like the bat you like the bat. The coach did a nice job with the video. The zen they are using is basically brand new as well.

Here is the video with over 1500 hits on the prism.

Dec 11, 2010
Please parents, DON’T EVER have your daughter swing a bat that she has to “grow into”. If you buy a bat that is too big, put it away until she is ready for it. Better yet, take the hit and sell it. (You can thank me later for that advice). Swinging a bat that is too big leads to swing problems, lack of development and lack of success.

A really nice guide for “how long of a bat should my dd be swinging” is to measure the width of her shoulders and multiply by two. If you are swinging a bat that is an inch too short by this formula, that may be a really good thing and many very successful hitters do this. An inch too long, on the other hand, can cause real performance problems. I have watched this play out over and over and over again at pretty much every age level. And parents won’t admit they screwed up by going too big.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE to adding an inch of length to a bat for a kid that hasn’t completely outgrown the bat. None. Not plate coverage. Not size of sweet spot. Not force times mass or e=mc squared or any other formula that I can’t solve, lol. As a parent, don’t fall into this trap. No one cares how long your daughters bat is. They care how well she performs day in and day out. A too long bat will prevent her from performing and will hinder her against the best pitching she sees. Which are the hardest games to win. Which are the games you want her to perform in.

Ask yourself this: would you rather your dd me an ok hitter with a long bat or be really successful with a bat that is an inch shorter than everyone else on the team?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2016
Texas
And parents won’t admit they screwed up by going too big.

I'll admit I did this to my son one year. After that messed up his swing, (started dipping) and it took forever to get it back in line. Now I'm super conservative when it comes to changing bats. We have a few bats hanging around that were "good deals" that are buried in a closet until they're of use.

Sep 19, 2018
Please parents, DON’T EVER have your daughter swing a bat that she has to “grow into”. If you buy a bat that is too big, put it away until she is ready for it. Better yet, take the hit and sell it. (You can thank me later for that advice). Swinging a bat that is too big leads to swing problems, lack of development and lack of success.

A really nice guide for “how long of a bat should my dd be swinging” is to measure the width of her shoulders and multiply by two. If you are swinging a bat that is an inch too short by this formula, that may be a really good thing and many very successful hitters do this. An inch too long, on the other hand, can cause real performance problems. I have watched this play out over and over and over again at pretty much every age level. And parents won’t admit they screwed up by going too big.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE to adding an inch of length to a bat for a kid that hasn’t completely outgrown the bat. None. Not plate coverage. Not size of sweet spot. Not force times mass or e=mc squared or any other formula that I can’t solve, lol. As a parent, don’t fall into this trap. No one cares how long your daughters bat is. They care how well she performs day in and day out. A too long bat will prevent her from performing and will hinder her against the best pitching she sees. Which are the hardest games to win. Which are the games you want her to perform in.

Ask yourself this: would you rather your dd me an ok hitter with a long bat or be really successful with a bat that is an inch shorter than everyone else on the team?

I am 100 percent on board with this. I am looking for suggestions, My first year 10U just turned 10. She is 4'5'' 95lbs. Short but strong. She is swinging a CFX 28 -11. She is read for and should be swinging a 29 -11. Her 28 is not quite a year old yet. I REALLLLLY don't want to buy a new bat every year. I've been thinking about jumping straight to a 30 -11 and telling her to choke up a little and against the hard throwers use the 28.

Of course is to just bite the bullet and resign myself to the fact that she is getting anew bat every year. Of course, I could just not get a bat, wait for next spring and then get the 30 when she'll be ready for that.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812