2020 Demarini Prism owner's discussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks for all the input, didn't mean to get the thread off topic. Still waiting for reports. Actually I've read a lot on this forum and figured most would suggest the 33/23. And I do think a 33 is the right fit for the next bat. But I was debating (-10) vs (-11). She is definitely a developing player, not a 14yo superstar. Hitting coach did say she'd like her in a 33 for high school. I guess it just seems an inch and two ounces seems like a big jump, as she's just started working with th 32 22. Then I think a lot of college kid and strong HS kids swing 33/23 and she isn't
there yet. Also, seems historically that these demarini drop 11s tend to become legends like CF8, CF6 and CF5. I do wonder if some of that comes from the fact that these size bats tend to be what DDs just happen to be swinging when their mechanics and size come together and they are able to hit the ball hard.
33” is correct length. I would go drop 11. The lighter the better. It’s all about bat speed. We should all be trying to hit line drives. Bat speed will give her confidence.
Do all your hitting drills with heavy endloaded bat and then go to live pitching with a light bat. You should see much improvement.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Of course is to just bite the bullet and resign myself to the fact that she is getting anew bat every year.

There will be years when those growth spurts hit that it feels like you're buying a new bat every year, but sometimes she'll plateau a bit have a bat for a couple of years. I keep telling DW that as soon as we get a new bat, we can sell the old one to soften the blow. It hasn't worked out that way yet, but hey, you've got to maintain your optimism. Or at least your sense of humor.

I often get bats used when I can. It's buyer beware on those, but it helps the budget when things go well, and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Dec 11, 2010
I am 100 percent on board with this. I am looking for suggestions, My first year 10U just turned 10. She is 4'5'' 95lbs. Short but strong. She is swinging a CFX 28 -11. She is read for and should be swinging a 29 -11. Her 28 is not quite a year old yet. I REALLLLLY don't want to buy a new bat every year. I've been thinking about jumping straight to a 30 -11 and telling her to choke up a little and against the hard throwers use the 28.

Of course is to just bite the bullet and resign myself to the fact that she is getting anew bat every year. Of course, I could just not get a bat, wait for next spring and then get the 30 when she'll be ready for that.

Thanks
Chris

For a 10u especially, I would hit the swap sites hard for the exact bat size you are looking for. I haven’t shopped those sizes for a long time so I don’t know what’s out there but it seems there has to be a ton of people who bought a bat and outgrew it within a year. Also any hitting instructors that work with young kids might have students that want to unload unused equipment. Most kids that age don’t put a ton to abuse on a bat.

Also, I’m curious if the shoulder width times two formula works for your dd- I was not yet using that plan when my dd’s were that age. Wondering how it works for the really young kids.

I really am a believer that having the correct sized bat is worth the pain at that age. I would advise against choking up or a choke up device if you are playing at a level above rec.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Please take the following for what it is worth. 12U DD has been swinging CF Zen 33/23 she really likes it, but I was not impressed. I decided I would like to see if there is any difference with the new Prism, I've heard great things but haven't seen anything personally yet. Also, I am a nerd and wanted to see what my DD could do with different bats.

In summary, my daughter had the opportunity to take 20 cuts with several demo bats (Prism, PXT, LXT, Xeno, Gold Ghost). I understand that 20 balls might not be enough to offer a true evaluation but here goes:

We've always been a DeMarini family, we now own a Xeno. The DD didn't feel anything different between Prism and the Zen she has now. Several times when swinging the Xeno, she looked back and said "wow."

Last note: Owner of the facility did mention that the Xeno has been hit quite a few more times than the "dual stamp" Prism.

If you are still reading this thanks, and please remember that the previous comments are not meant to be definitive in any way; but rather to add to the ongoing discussion.

Dec 11, 2010
Please take the following for what it is worth. 12U DD has been swinging CF Zen 33/23 she really likes it, but I was not impressed. I decided I would like to see if there is any difference with the new Prism, I've heard great things but haven't seen anything personally yet. Also, I am a nerd and wanted to see what my DD could do with different bats.

In summary, my daughter had the opportunity to take 20 cuts with several demo bats (Prism, PXT, LXT, Xeno, Gold Ghost). I understand that 20 balls might not be enough to offer a true evaluation but here goes:

We've always been a DeMarini family, we now own a Xeno. The DD didn't feel anything different between Prism and the Zen she has now. Several times when swinging the Xeno, she looked back and said "wow."

Last note: Owner of the facility did mention that the Xeno has been hit quite a few more times than the "dual stamp" Prism.

If you are still reading this thanks, and please remember that the previous comments are not meant to be definitive in any way; but rather to add to the ongoing discussion.

You did exactly what you should do to find the bat that fits your daughters swing if you have the chance to do it. The bat that your daughter hits lasers with is the best bat for her. And sometimes all the Blast Motion and exit velocity data in the world can't change the fact that every player needs and wants something a little different.

Sep 10, 2017
Southeast US

The Xeno is still a great all-around bat. There’s a lot of Wilson/Slugger/DeMarini hate here (and I get it), but it’s still a great bat for a wide range of players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2017
I think the fact that you are only seeing a very few of these bats being used by teams in the regionals who swing Demarinis is somewhat telling. You are seeing more and more girls on teams who swing Easton using the white ghost in their lineups and the prism has been available longer than the new ghost.

Aug 11, 2015
My DD got to hit the Prism today at a demo and it was hot. 33/23. She hit it better then any other bat.(Zen, LXT, RXT, FNX) It definitely had some swings on beforehand but don’t know how many. Definitely very light swinging. Lighter then the ‘20 Zen too. So much so that I’m hesitant to pick one up as this is supposed to be the “next “ bat.

Feb 26, 2018
My DD has been smoking the ball in BP with her Prism. I would say she has close to 200 hits on it by now and it was pretty hot out of the wrapper. Her 22oz scaled at 22.5, so a little over sticker, but she's been swinging it well. Granted most of my BP balls are 52/300's and gets more pop out of the couple 47/375 fastpitch balls and crushes the one Blue Dot in my bucket which is 47/525. We always save that one for last haha

May 14, 2019
Any one have any durability issues with the prism? My DD has one and the knob can be turned on it. Had a rattle. That went away and the bat started sounding different. Then the knob is loose and can be turned a little in each direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad