2019 Ghost has a “wobble” in it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Bought a brand new 2019 ghost and bat has developed a wobble when you work the handle back and forth. Bat is still hot. Is it on the verge of breaking?

Aug 20, 2017
I gotcha! So NFHS puts equipment inspection on coaches I think. I don’t want anyone to get hurt. Is the wobble signs that it’s about to break? Im assuming you are tossing it for safety reasons

May 29, 2015
NFHS has gone back and forth. Currently, we (umpires) are not inspecting equipment (at least in Illinois). "Coach, is your team legal and legally equipped?" at the pre-game puts the impetus on the coaches.

With that, NFHS rolled out a new bat classification of "damaged" if it is discovered during a game. It does not carry the same penalty as using an "illegal" bat.

USA Softball still instructs us to check equipment.

I was taught (informally!) that "the wobble" is the connection inside loosening up or detaching. Since nobody wants to confirm or deny that ...

Aug 2, 2019
NFHS has gone back and forth. Currently, we (umpires) are not inspecting equipment (at least in Illinois). "Coach, is your team legal and legally equipped?" at the pre-game puts the impetus on the coaches.

With that, NFHS rolled out a new bat classification of "damaged" if it is discovered during a game. It does not carry the same penalty as using an "illegal" bat.

USA Softball still instructs us to check equipment.

I was taught (informally!) that "the wobble" is the connection inside loosening up or detaching. Since nobody wants to confirm or deny that ...
Do you check every bat, every game in every division in USA, or is it only the highest level?

DD has played USA tournaments in 10C&B, and 12C&B and they have never had their equipment checked

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It is not detaching...hahaha. And this is not to get into our usual bat guy/ump convo :)

It is loosening as it is a connection and will move as it gets worked in. Nothing is wrong with the bat and it will not come flying
off. Umps are taught to toss everything.

I hate these questions because how much of a wobble is it? Is the bat handle turning a slight bit or can you turn it like half the way around?

Btw, do softball parents just sit around holding bats and feeling them? hahaha :)

May 29, 2015
Do you check every bat, every game in every division in USA, or is it only the highest level?

DD has played USA tournaments in 10C&B, and 12C&B and they have never had their equipment checked

USA's instruction is every bat, batter's helmet, and catcher's mask ... every game. I don't know how much the national organization hounds on this, but our state organization pounds this into us. Even at that, I will say of the two facilities that I work regularly, one doesn't care and one is downright religious about it.

My personal opinion ... I want no part of it. To me (and a retired attorney/umpire I work with), it puts more liability ON us than it takes OFF of us.

May 29, 2015
It is not detaching...hahaha. And this is not to get into our usual bat guy/ump convo :)

It is loosening as it is a connection and will move as it gets worked in. Nothing is wrong with the bat and it will not come flying
off. Umps are taught to toss everything.

I hate these questions because how much of a wobble is it? Is the bat handle turning a slight bit or can you turn it like half the way around?

Btw, do softball parents just sit around holding bats and feeling them? hahaha :)

I was trying to stay away from it! :)

Besides, you should agree with me just so you can sell more bats! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802