2012 college majors of softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Considering there is no major league draft or $$$ in fastpitch softball after college, my recommendation for my DD, if she is lucky enough to be offered a scholarship, will be to go to the school where she gets the best education in whatever major she chooses to study. Playing in the CWS would be great, but it is one week of her life. She will use her degree for the next 40+ years!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow...the Auburn team *is* a representative cross-section of kids from the college. There is a chem engr major, a bio engr major, an accounting major, history, criminology, pre-vet, etc. Perhaps there is a coach or two out there who actually wants the kids to get a real education?

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
Wow...the Auburn team *is* a representative cross-section of kids from the college. There is a chem engr major, a bio engr major, an accounting major, history, criminology, pre-vet, etc. Perhaps there is a coach or two out there who actually wants the kids to get a real education?

During DD's recruiting process and visits it was quite apparent that intended major and career path were a consideration by coaching staff -- some schools more than others.

I think it depends on what you want to do. My undergrad degree was in Sociology and I have never had a problem finding a business type job. A lot of it is how you sell yourself when you get out and the merits of your degree. I have found that it really doesn't matter what degree you have in a non-specialized field. If you are going to be an engineer, yes. If you are going to push papers and manage people, no. Of course, it is a tougher job market right now than when I got my paper...in any event, a student should be able to pick what she wants to major in and put in the work if she really wants it. There are athletes that have been Rhodes Scholars. It can be done.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Sluggers, I'm trying to understand the reational of your thred. Are you putting students down like my dd wjho wants to be a teacher and specifically an Early Childhood Education Teacher? When you suggest that the only teams that have true student athletes are the ones that have chemistry or engineering students on the roster, then it sounds like you are.

Feb 3, 2011
The ideal majors for prospective pre-med/pre-vet/pre-dentistry candidates are those which will generally yield the highest GPA - communications, psychology, sociology, etc.

Dec 28, 2008
Great idea for a post, and a real wakeup call for athletes as they consider what they really want out of life after they get to play an extra 4 years of travel ball.

I loved hearing today how much one player felt like her "Laughing and Meditation Class" helped her with her play.

IMHO colleges shouldn't offer courses for student athletes that their parents wouldn't be willing to work for and pay if their daughter didn't have a scholarship. Because my daughter wouldn't get to listen to a comedian and take a nap on my money.

Dec 28, 2008
Sluggers, I'm trying to understand the reational of your thred. Are you putting students down like my dd wjho wants to be a teacher and specifically an Early Childhood Education Teacher? When you suggest that the only teams that have true student athletes are the ones that have chemistry or engineering students on the roster, then it sounds like you are.

If your daughter gets to complete her education courses and is employable after her time at college, I'm sure he's all for that.

I think his post is really just designed to help people see the real academic nonsense that occurs at many of these schools. What he is saying without saying it is that many of these coaches flat out tell students "Sorry the labs you will need to take for that major are going to be held during our practice/work out times so you can't continue that major and since I'm paying for your education you'll take the classes I allow you to take." The ones where your daughter walks in with a dream to help special needs childrens and leaves as unhirable PE coach.

When you read his post about Auburn you'll see that he praises the school/coaches for actually having a team that represents a real cross section of the student population. Their school is highly competitive while at the same time having players graduate with the major that will allow them to have a post college career, that represents the academics of the university.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cannonball, I wasn't putting down any major in particular, and I certainly didn't say anything negative about educators.

Some D1 college teams, perhaps most, like to funnel kids into a particular major that works better from a scheduling and academic standpoint than others. E.g., LSU softball players have an affinity for "Sports Studies". I have trouble believing that, in these times, a parent and child would look at the opportunities available at LSU and say, "Hey, Sports Studies is the goldmine I've been looking for!"

Even Harvard's players seem to prefer Psychology over all other majors.

For those not in the know, the deal is that certain professors at colleges like particular sports. Those professors are more likely to cut players some slack than others. Therefore, coaches steer players towards those college coaches. (My DD#3 majored in chemistry. There was one professor who was very accomodating to her schedule.)

My point is that when the D1 college coach brings you a big glass of grape "We put academics ahead of sports!", don't drink the coolaid.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802