2-Strike Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Crystal Bustos would intentionally swing and miss at a pitch that she wanted to see again.

"IMO, one of the worst things that can happen is if a hitter is afraid to strikeout. In my experience this lead to strikeouts."
yep!

Steve Springer is very good with his discussion of quality at-bats and the mental side of the game.

Along those lines, having the coach tell them to "swing at the first pitch because its going to be a strike" is not a good thing.
- i've seen this benefit pitchers way more than batters. and it gives you a one pitch out without seeing any pitches or it puts them down 1 strike without them having a choice- now they only get 2 strikes because the coach started them off with a strike.

Through high school, my oldest daughter was an excellent 2-strike hitter. She later told me that with 2 strikes, she would not count on, but would be prepared for a changeup.

Aug 20, 2017
Our 2-strike approach is to hit every ball down the right field line (if hitter is RH). This will allow the hitter to allow the ball to travel a little deeper in an attempt to hit velocity pitches down to right field and not be too early on off speed.

Mar 10, 2020
Crystal Bustos would intentionally swing and miss at a pitch that she wanted to see again.

"IMO, one of the worst things that can happen is if a hitter is afraid to strikeout. In my experience this lead to strikeouts."
yep!

Steve Springer is very good with his discussion of quality at-bats and the mental side of the game.

Along those lines, having the coach tell them to "swing at the first pitch because its going to be a strike" is not a good thing.
- i've seen this benefit pitchers way more than batters. and it gives you a one pitch out without seeing any pitches or it puts them down 1 strike without them having a choice- now they only get 2 strikes because the coach started them off with a strike.

Through high school, my oldest daughter was an excellent 2-strike hitter. She later told me that with 2 strikes, she would not count on, but would be prepared for a changeup.
Doesnt make sense.
C.B. would hit the pitch.
Swing and miss intentially no.

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
IMO all swings should be the same swing mechanics. Changing your swing mechanics to try and "put the ball in play" with 2 strikes is silly. With that being said, I am all about getting the ball in the field of play and not just about hitting the ball over a fence. I'll always choose the team that hits for average with hard line drives over the team swinging for the fences. Again, IMO the only thing that changes with 2 strikes is the batters mental approach... they need to be less selective on getting the pitch that they "want to hit" and more aggressive to swing at the pitch that they "need to hit" to protect the plate from a called 3rd strike.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not so.....
Kretschman would take the first pitch in each of her first two at-bats to get you to throw a meaty pitch the third time. If you did, she'd put it in the bleachers. Bustos would swing 100 years too early on a pitch just to get you to throw a change-up or off-speed pitch next. If you did, she would give the outfield crowd a souvenir. In both of these cases, hitters wore strikes ON PURPOSE to get pitchers to throw what the hitters wanted. Sometimes discipline means sacrificing the count for an opportunity to hit something hard

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here is what you said:
Doesnt make sense.
C.B. would hit the pitch.
Swing and miss intentially(intentionally) no.
Just showing that Bustos did swing and miss intentionally......sometimes.

Mar 10, 2020
Read post #23
My comment is directed at Megobees statement.
She would not intentionally swing and miss at a pitch she would want to see again.
Thats nonsense.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
we use the phrase "attack with 2" a lot.....i want them aggressive and jumping on anything that is in that window (to use someone else's phrase

i want them making the decision, not anyone else......we talk about putting that high outside pitch off the 1st base dugout to get another pitch......but really i want them to adopt that batting practice mentality - if you can get a bat on it, hit it (within reason)......attack anything that is close to a strike, and hit it hard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802