2 scenarios

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2016
Both in high school playoffs:

Scenario 1
Runners on 2nd and 3rd, on the pitch the ball hits the front of the plate off the catcher's shoulder and goes over the backstop out of play. Does the runner on 2nd get awarded home? She was advancing to 3rd prior to it going out of play

Scenario 2
Batted ball, runner rounds 1st heading to 2nd and is obstructed by first base men, ump signalled obstruction, let the play continue, batter thrown out at 2nd. She is awarded 2nd, how is this scored? Double or single?

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Scenario 2
Batted ball, runner rounds 1st heading to 2nd and is obstructed by first base men, ump signalled obstruction, let the play continue, batter thrown out at 2nd. She is awarded 2nd, how is this scored? Double or single?

Comp has Scenario 1.

Scenario 2 should be scored a double. Primarily because the umpire placed her on second which is the base he believes she would have reached safely without the obstruction (otherwise he would have placed her back on first).

Jun 26, 2016
Thanks all, I agree on both scenarios just had some friendly discussions at the fields tonight as both took place

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
I think scenario 2 depends as well. rounding does not automatically mean they were gong to 2B. was the ball misplayed in OF, or was there an errant throw, this may have been why the FU awarded second, in which case it would be a single with 2B awarded due to E.

consider ground ball gets hit to LF, LF misplays it, it gets through them, that I would score a single with 2B reached on E7. Fu ump awards second because he is thinking once batter sees LF and CF running towards fence to retrive ball, they would have gone to 2B.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802