#2 is just as important as #1 - High School Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
I can tell that you don't coach or have any experience working with a high level team. That's ok, this website is here for you to learn as well.

What I typed is my DD.

High level teams don't have a #1 pitcher, they have pitchers that can go in at any time and deliver. Depth is everything.

HS around here tends to have drop off; my travel team has a 1A and 1B, and that's where the double barrel approach comes in.....we plan on switching 3rd time through the order ahead of time, and use the #3 to get rest when we can

in HS, though, the teams around here usually aren't as deep offensively, either.....one can get away with a little more, and sometimes the change of pace is enough.....different look can often get results.....there's a few teams that have started to catch on, but a lot of them just ride the #1 all season.....you see them tail off towards the end of the season, and the good batters see them a bunch over the season

Apr 28, 2014
It also depends on the philosophy of the head coach. Most of the schools we face all use there #1 the whole game. Some due to talent but most coaches here have old school thinking, they treat pitchers like QBs.

Jan 8, 2019
How about teaching the kids that they are ALL important and necessary? It's great to have an ace pitcher, better to have two, but it's best to have a TEAM that can pick up for each other when one of the others is not firing on all cylinders.

We faced a formidable pitcher a couple of years ago. After the first two innings, we thought we were going to get be humiliated. After talking the girls through some adjustments on the opposing pitcher's style and speed, our girls started hitting. Nothing spectacular, but getting the ball into play. It was very obvious that this team had been riding all season on their "#1." Their defensive in-game skills were horrible. They had no idea what to do with the ball when they were able to get to it. They won a lot of games because of their #1, but they were not a good TEAM.

On the other hand, we have had more than one outing where our pitcher (not high caliber) was giving up contact with regularity. Fortunately, we had a strong defense that was able to produce outs and help us win. Our #1 and #2 on those days were not our pitchers.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I can tell that you don't coach or have any experience working with a high level team. That's ok, this website is here for you to learn as well.

What I typed is my DD.

High level teams don't have a #1 pitcher, they have pitchers that can go in at any time and deliver. Depth is everything.

There you go with more false information and accusations.

In terms of travel softball, it would be difficult to be associated with a higher level travel team than the one that I am an assistant coach for. Even the highest level teams have #1 pitchers.

Since you were the one that decided that the team you are coaching for or the team your daughter plays for shows how much a person would know about the game of softball. Who do you coach for, and who does your daughter play for?

Feb 18, 2014

In terms of travel softball, it would be difficult to be associated with a higher level travel team than the one that I am an assistant coach for. Even the highest level teams have #1 pitchers.

Since you were the one that decided that the team you are coaching for or the team your daughter plays for shows how much a person would know about the game of softball. Who do you coach for, and who does your daughter play for?

Apparently not or you would understand the importance of a deep pitching staff.

You are the one that decided to call what we have to deal with PC behavior so don't complain when people critique your inaccurate opinions. And I don't coach, I know that softball isn't about me, or who I think I am or who I coach for. So go ahead and tell me who you coach for and why it is such a huge org.

Mar 10, 2020
Politics aside
#1 is #1 because they are the best pitcher. The ace.
#2 is #2 because they are not #1 . Only important if they can actually pitch and there is going to be a pitching rotation.
Sensible coach is another topic.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

Apparently not or you would understand the importance of a deep pitching staff.

You are the one that decided to call what we have to deal with PC behavior so don't complain when people critique your inaccurate opinions. And I don't coach, I know that softball isn't about me, or who I think I am or who I coach for. So go ahead and tell me who you coach for and why it is such a huge org.

You must have a hard time with reading. Where did I mention anything about the importance of a deep pitching staff? That is right, I did not mention anything about a deep pitching staff not being important. Read what I actually wrote and quit making shirt up. The discussion between me and you had nothing to do with a deep pitching staff.

This topic is not even arguable. The #1 pitcher is more important than the #2 pitcher. You have to be stupid to think otherwise.

Just to clarify. You were the one with the dumb comment about how I could not coach or be involved with a high level organization. Which also, had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I coach, and my daughter plays for the Beverly Bandits. I don't think I have ever brought that up before on here because it does not make a difference.

Feb 18, 2014
You must have a hard time with reading. Where did I mention anything about the importance of a deep pitching staff? That is right, I did not mention anything about a deep pitching staff not being important. Read what I actually wrote and quit making shirt up. The discussion between me and you had nothing to do with a deep pitching staff.

This topic is not even arguable. The #1 pitcher is more important than the #2 pitcher. You have to be stupid to think otherwise.

Just to clarify. You were the one with the dumb comment about how I could not coach or be involved with a high level organization. Which also, had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I coach, and my daughter plays for the Beverly Bandits. I don't think I have ever brought that up before on here because it does not make a difference.
Gambler Bob, never heard of you or your famous org but you must be important to someone. Especially since this is about High School softball not whatever org this is supposed to be. You can't collect players or try to ride the success of individuals to convince players to join the team here.

I can understand how you are jaded by being in the business of softball and I really don't care. Your opinion of needing to label who you think is your number one pitcher is what is shirt as you put it. Your opinion that relying on your entire pitching staff and not using labels and not treating them as such as "pc culture" is shirt as you put it.

So whatever daddy ball you want to coach is up to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802