#2 is just as important as #1 - High School Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
It's not like we get a choice in how deep the pitching staff will be in High School.

haha good point.....our varsity team had a converted SS going as the #1, and mostly only, pitcher......headed into this year with a freshman that hits low 50's with solid control, a 2 seamer that moves in on RHB and a solid changeup, and we're ecstatic......and there's an 8th grader hitting mid 50's with some control of a few pitches, so next year we might even have choices haha

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We have a stud #1. She struck out 44 in her first three games this year and gave up only 5 runs. #2/3 is a shootout between a sophmore and an 8th grader pulled up to give us depth. We lost a very effective #2 that graduated last year that you could always rely on to get us by anyone except the absolute best teams in the state. The 8th grader had struggled and it has looked like nerves more than anything. She got the change to throw in the semis of our tourney this weekend after our offense put 8 up in the first. She struggled a little the first inning she was out there but then struck out 6 over the next two and had her first varsity hit. The reaction from the dugout as she made a couple of people look like complete fools on change ups for K's hopefully helps get past the nerves.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I understand the point you are trying to get across to your daughter but to say that the #2 pitchers is as important as the #1 pitchers is simply not true.

Feb 18, 2014
I understand the point you are trying to get across to your daughter but to say that the #2 pitchers is as important as the #1 pitchers is simply not true.
For a properly developed well rounded team it is true.

Ever watched an exhausted pitcher walk off the field because she kept being put in for all 5 games in a HS tournament?

Massaged her back and applied heat between innings until a chiropractor was able to adjust her on the bleachers?

Watched her tear herself apart because even though she is doing her best the team can't pull it together and she can't even get a breather?

Watch her get put back in when the pitcher that was put in to relieve her lost her 7 running lead only to be unable to stop their momentum?

I could go on and on about why not having that second pitcher that is "just as important as the #1" statement is true. Maybe not for a dysfunctional high school team, which most are.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
For a properly developed well rounded team it is true.

Ever watched an exhausted pitcher walk off the field because she kept being put in for all 5 games in a HS tournament?

Massaged her back and applied heat between innings until a chiropractor was able to adjust her on the bleachers?

Watched her tear herself apart because even though she is doing her best the team can't pull it together and she can't even get a breather?

Watch her get put back in when the pitcher that was put in to relieve her lost her 7 running lead only to be unable to stop their momentum?

I could go on and on about why not having that second pitcher that is "just as important as the #1" statement is true. Maybe not for a dysfunctional high school team, which most are.

None of your examples make the #2 pitcher as important as the #1 pitcher. All of your examples are just reasons that it is nice to have a good #2 pitcher. What you just typed is the politically correct answer that people like to hear. In reality, your statement is still 100% false.

I get it, it is really nice to have a solid # 2 pitcher. That does not make the #2 pitcher as important as the #1 pitcher.

Aug 21, 2008
I know some states (Ohio for example) do not allow travel ball practices, games, etc. AT ALL during the high school season. This is from the Ohio High School association NOT from a particular school trying to dominate a kid's life or restart that never-ending feud between HS and TB coaches. Kids simply aren't allowed to do both in some states. However, I will NEVER understand how that is legal. How a school sports association can tell a kid and parents what they can do off school property. But folks much smarter than me have probably pursued legal fights for this, and they seemed to have lost.

Anyway, the point is, the amount of kids actually recruited to play college from HS ball is so small that sometimes you have to ask yourself if pitching 5 tournament games, in the freezing cold since most states play in Spring and it's bone chilling cold, without a team behind her, and a coach that is there because he/she is in the teacher's union. Just make sure you understand this. For 99.9999% high school is not the path to college (assuming that's her goal). If all she wants is to play ball with friends and have fun, I'm all for it. But wayyyyyyyy to much emphasis is put on the importance of high school softball.

The advantages of having a solid 2nd pitcher (not even a #2, just a 2nd pitcher) are huge in both HS and TB. And it's hard to do but, if you're able to convince your team there isn't a #1, #2, or #3 pitcher... they will play , equally hard behind whoever is on the rubber. That's not always the case. Psychologically some players and teams experience a let down if the ace isn't pitching. I wish that wasn't the case but it's true. Many times there are clear #1's on a team. And if the coach is able to keep some kind of steady rotation going, that let down factor dissipates. I have no idea why but I've seen it over and over where a team makes more errors and has no hitting when the ace isn't pitching. Of course, if your team has no hitting anyway then it could be a moot point. My team manager used to tell me, "You throw shutouts, we'll tie 'em".

Bill

Jun 11, 2013
Of course number 2 is not as important as 1 but it's still important for reasons people have given. Having depth is the key to having a solid programs. Once in awhile you'll find a team where a stud pitcher can just carry them, but over time the programs that have a starting 9 that all play at good TB programs will be at or near the top.

Apr 28, 2014
DD pitched most of the games the last 2 seasons. Would be nice to have a #2 with little to no drop off. Looking back to last year we had 8 games where we won by 2 runs or less. Hard to go to #2 if there is a drop off.
This year we have a freshman who is almost as good as DD. Be nice to see her get some rest as we get to playoffs.
That said pitching a lot keeps her sharp

Feb 18, 2014
None of your examples make the #2 pitcher as important as the #1 pitcher. All of your examples are just reasons that it is nice to have a good #2 pitcher. What you just typed is the politically correct answer that people like to hear. In reality, your statement is still 100% false.

I get it, it is really nice to have a solid # 2 pitcher. That does not make the #2 pitcher as important as the #1 pitcher.
I can tell that you don't coach or have any experience working with a high level team. That's ok, this website is here for you to learn as well.

What I typed is my DD.

High level teams don't have a #1 pitcher, they have pitchers that can go in at any time and deliver. Depth is everything.