2 hands vs 1 hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
When someone is paying you millions a year, then you can catch however you want. Until then, use 2 hands.

There is a huge difference between Major League Baseball players and typical TB/HS softball players. That should be obvious. Same reason you shouldn’t be teaching 16 yr old girls to swing like MLB home run hitters. Although, some seem to think you should.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have seen a lot of softball players crippled by the myth of "2 hands". When the ball goes in the glove you have 2 choices, close the glove or put your hand on the ball (2 Hands). 2 hands doesn't work on backhands or wide or high throws, harping on 2 hands makes players contort themselves into awkward positions to make the catch. I warmup my arm every time I have a practice or give a lesson and I never catch with 2 hands. I have never in my career told a player "2 hands" after a dropped ball. Trying to catch with 2 hands actually causes dropped balls, players will let the ball hit the palm of the glove and attempt to trap it with the other hand, bad technique. The only legitimate use of 2 hands is on a groundball that be fielded between the feet, but even there it is questionable.

With all that said I do like my players to keep their throwing hand in the vicinity of their glove so that they can make a quick transfer, as long as it doesn't hinder their ability to let the ball travel into the pocket of the glove.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
DD's just finished high school and starting college. Always uses two hands if possible... even in the circle when catching the return from the catcher. Whenever you can, use both hands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog