2 hands vs 1 hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I always like popup and flyballs caught with two hands. Recently someone ( a fellow college coach) said if Major Leaguers catch with one hand why are we teaching to catch with two hands. Not sure I agree. Opinions

May 3, 2016
“God gave you two hands for more than praying” “When you go play for(insert top D1 ) you can use 1 hand until then use 2” couple of my favorites. I like 2 hands at the younger ages to help with keeping the ball contained but as they get more comfortable the less they will use the second hand but rather they will have it close to transfer the ball to throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
I always like popup and flyballs caught with two hands. Recently someone ( a fellow college coach) said if Major Leaguers catch with one hand why are we teaching to catch with two hands. Not sure I agree. Opinions
Whenever possible two hands. Makes for quick transfer to throw. Obviously running for line drives one hand when ball is outside your body lines.
Some orgs consider this old school which is BS. Secure the ball!!!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If it’s a routine flyball that you can easily get under then two hands is the way to go. If you have to reach outside the frame of your body to catch the ball you use one hand due to range

I agree with this, and there is an additional good reason to teach two hands related to it. Two hands forces them to try to get under the ball. A lot of girls are hesitant, even afraid, to try to catch fly balls. You'll see them playing balls off to the side or trying to set up basket catches out in front. Stressing a proper two hands technique will get them to get under the ball on routine plays.

Nov 18, 2015
"Two Hands" is another good candidate for a good idea taught incorrectly.

I have a 9YO on my 10U team that tries to catch EVERYTHING with two hands. When I first saw her doing this, I was thinking - "wow, Dad did a great job emphasizing the basics - wonder what made it click for her?"

After a few practices, I realized this is more often a limitation than a benefit. It doesn't help that she's one of the shortest girls on the team. Same issues as mentioned above - it SEVERELY limits reach, and stiffens her up when moving towards a fly ball.

About 1 hour before I first read this thread last night, I watched a Cleveland OF drop a routine fly ball after it hit off the palm (not even the heel, IIRC, he just didn't squeeze it). Of course, the runner scored a batter or two later on the HR by Conforto. So even MLB'ers do it.

I agree with RH - never at 1B. Within the frame of the body is a good reference, with the caveat to move your feet to get in front of / under the ball so that you can use 2 hands.

During warmup throws, most times I'll reach a point where I make everyone catch with one hand only (b/c everyone looks stiff, or aren't reaching for very catchable balls). To my original point, I think we've over-emphasized "use two hands", but left out the situational part of it, which I'll just summarize as "if you have to reach for it, use one hand". It's similar to those "T" drills for throwing - the need to ALWAYS use two hands to catch becomes a mental hurdle that strips the athleticism and natural movements out of the process.

And might as well add - even when they use two hands, 1/2 of them do it wrong anyway - instead of a "thumbs together" position (to wrap your throwing hand around the front of the glove), they put their hand behind the glove (overlapping thumbs), which is more likely to sqeeze the ball back out than squeeze the glove shut.

Aug 20, 2017
It’s same with fielding ground balls. If you can’t easily get in front you rake through the ball forehand or backhand with one hand. If you can get in front two hands alligator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802