2 ASA rule changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks.... just wondering the liability issues if our rec league keeps the requirement in its rules and the national organization has removed it.

Generally speaking, I don't think there is an issue with increasing the level of protection (which is probably how the chin strap is viewed by the insurance industry).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Generally speaking, I don't think there is an issue with increasing the level of protection (which is probably how the chin strap is viewed by the insurance industry).

The idea of the chin strap was to keep the helmet on the players head during action. For those noting that it didn't work, it actually did. How many times have you seen a helmet accidentally come off a runner's head over the past decade? Previously, there would be an occasional "accidental" loss of a helmet which can be dangerous with a live ball being thrown around especially in the same general direction as the runner is heading. Yes, there is a rule covering that, but I've never seen it occur wear the coach didn't swear it was accidental and flip out when you didn't buy his/her BS. And before the fitting of the helmets is much better today, remember the game rules are not exclusive to travel ball.

The "safety" issue with the ODC is a bit over-played. Being behind the batter isn't necessarily safer though perceived to be so. I cannot remember ever seeing an ODB injured in my 48 years of umpiring. I'm sure it has happened, but not to the point it has been exaggerated in support of this rule change. Then again, if there is that much fear of the danger, maybe the ODC needs to be placed behind the fence, not inside of it.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Definitely in favor of the chin strap being gone. As an umpire, if you tried to enforce it to have the strap up snug around the chin, you were an umpire nazi. You let it just hang loose, and it is not serving its purpose. Good riddance of an unnecessary rule.

On the other hand, I was not in support of allowing batters to use either on deck circle. This opens opportunities for taunting opposing players and other issues.
Regarding the supposed safety issues...there is no rule requiring use of the on deck circle. If a player or coach is that concerned, stay in the dugout until it is your turn to bat.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
On the other hand, I was not in support of allowing batters to use either on deck circle. This opens opportunities for taunting opposing players and other issues.
Regarding the supposed safety issues...there is no rule requiring use of the on deck circle. If a player or coach is that concerned, stay in the dugout until it is your turn to bat.

Hardly an issue. If it ever does become one, warn then eject offending player(s) and manager. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
What made the chin strap rule obsolete wasn't how well the chin strap worked.

What made it obsolete was the 1,000% improvement in helmet design, padding and fit. Add to that the fact that the helmets fit because girls don't share helmets and it's a no brainer.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hardly an issue. If it ever does become on, warn, then eject offending player(s) and manager. Problem solved.

Yeah, that will go over as big as telling the coach to make the batter use the chin strap properly. :)

AFA the chin straps, even if loose, it will still perform appropriately as long as it is under the chin.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Yeah, that will go over as big as telling the coach to make the batter use the chin strap properly. :)

AFA the chin straps, even if loose, it will still perform appropriately as long as it is under the chin.

Like I said, I don't see it ever being an issue, other than an arguing point. Most of the other team is on the field and not in the dugout. The vast majority of teams will have 2-4 players in the dugout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802