1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fanboi22

I’m currently doing some posture stuff right now. The PVC pipe or anything across the chest, shoulders or back is ridiculous and doesn’t feel remotely good.

Real posture starts with pelvis tilt and the spine. The upper body works around the spine tilt. The PVC drill frequently posted has the upper body or upper torso creating the tilt. Trying it myself just showed me how the totally exaggerated the upperbody tilts and doesn’t feel good at all. I always thought that drill looked ackward.

I have some clips I’ll post.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
fetch

Again...watch the stripe.

Again.....on the follow through.
Do as I say, not as I do...
24e80e79920a6bcf65eba712b32ff567795091d6.gifv

the actual functional checkpoint is the pelvis rotating over the femur before the knee goes down and in. At landing. The rear foot staying in eversion is best I agree. But doesn’t always happen.
fetch

Again...watch the stripe.

Again.....on the follow through.
Do as I say, not as I do...
24e80e79920a6bcf65eba712b32ff567795091d6.gifv

what matters is through impact. I would like to see her keep it everted more as well. Keeps the stretch tighter at both ends. I mention it but I don’t force movement that isn’t somewhat natural to her mobility level. I actually mentioned it yesterday and she keep the slack out better afterwards.

May 3, 2014
Well, since she doesn't like me bothering her, I jumped at the chance to video her when she snuck outside to swing today. I noticed a couple things in her swing. Still not very good overall, but we worked on on thing specifically. Looking to see if anyone likes swing one vs swing two. And you have to choose, can't just say you dont like either. hahah.

swing 1

swing 2

I like Swing 1 better. She is using hips and legs right now, but if she can get the obliques to lead it will be a good move to the ball.

May 3, 2014
I think a good drill (with a light weight bat) would be this. Learn to snyc the barrel movement with the lead oblique pulling back. Keep the legs quiet. Only low pitches. Let the barrel work down under the shoulders. Higher pitchers will recruit the upper torso too early.

4YZpY5.gif

Reactions: TDS

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think a good drill (with a light weight bat) would be this. Learn to snyc the barrel movement with the lead oblique pulling back. Keep the legs quiet. Only low pitches. Let the barrel work down under the shoulders. Higher pitchers will recruit the upper torso too early.

4YZpY5.gif
Thanks for the drill suggestion. Didn't get much of a chance to work with her this weekend.

Question on the hitters you posted, Acuna and Bustos both look to be lengthening lead arm into toe touch. Essentially walking away from the hands, though they are staying in the same location relative to the ground. I understand this creates stretch, however, DD i think overbaked it in the past and really looked too long in the swing. I think it promoted a front arm bar. The drill you show does not.

Acuna moreso than Bustos looks to really be forcing the swing where Manny is not. Maybe it is a strength thing.

So the actual question i guess is: is walking away from the hands a good thing? More Arm bar swing? or am i just seeing this wrong? Thanks again.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Thanks for the drill suggestion. Didn't get much of a chance to work with her this weekend.

Question on the hitters you posted, Acuna and Bustos both look to be lengthening lead arm into toe touch. Essentially walking away from the hands, though they are staying in the same location relative to the ground. I understand this creates stretch, however, DD i think overbaked it in the past and really looked too long in the swing. I think it promoted a front arm bar. The drill you show does not.

Acuna moreso than Bustos looks to really be forcing the swing where Manny is not. Maybe it is a strength thing.

So the actual question i guess is: is walking away from the hands a good thing? More Arm bar swing? or am i just seeing this wrong? Thanks again.
Maybe the full show rather than clips can help

- Abbey Cheek Swing Breakdown

Oct 26, 2019

4YZpY5.gif
This drill David is doing is from the video my father made on hitting That featured David Wright and Michael Cuddyer - small world. David was in his first year or 2 of pro-ball here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom