1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Thanks Shawn, when you say ‘see more posture creating the swing plane’ what does that mean?

I agree on hand drop, it looks goofy. I will have her lock her hand position more at swing launch. As a note launch to me is when the main torso engine engages and starts to turn the barrel.
Check out hands at 6:29 and resulting head movement to contact zone. Good job sir.

- How To Load Lower Body In The Softball Swing

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
fetch
b80fe5a442cbbe162c4a9be2a94237f632da5a6a.gifv
Thank you RD for taking the time to post. The other day i mentioned something about starting with the pigeon toe, as she seemed to open up the hips nearly immediately, but when i had her stand that way, it looked totally off. So i didn't press it. With what you posted, i must have been thinking on the right thing and will go back to that and have her work on those points.

The only thing i cannot visualize is the below statement, more so the feel of the hip pulling around. lead hip or back hip? i just wanna make sure where the feel is

- Now, use your low back, your mid back and most importantly your scap to resist any inward pressure. Feel like your hip is pulling around.

Thanks again, truly appreciate your input.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Check out hands at 6:29 and resulting head movement to contact zone. Good job sir.

- How To Load Lower Body In The Softball Swing

Sorry, i am not understanding what point you are making. What about the hands? I dont see any head movement. The player in the video levels the barrel, perhaps to try and get into an on plane neck slot position, and then swings. She also has a higher handset, but that may be more because my DD is dropping her front shoulder in more.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Sorry, i am not understanding what point you are making. What about the hands? I dont see any head movement. The player in the video levels the barrel, perhaps to try and get into an on plane neck slot position, and then swings. She also has a higher handset, but that may be more because my DD is dropping her front shoulder in more.
Like what your DD is doing. What I was referencing is:

The height of the hands after they drop in relationship to the deltoid. (starting point)

The continued movement of the head at contact (ending point)

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Hey fanboi22. Saw this and made me think of you, ALWAYS LEARNING (y) Don't know if you have seen it before.

- 7 Simple Hitting Drills Using Only A PVC Pipe! [HUGE RESULTS]

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you RD for taking the time to post. The other day i mentioned something about starting with the pigeon toe, as she seemed to open up the hips nearly immediately, but when i had her stand that way, it looked totally off. So i didn't press it. With what you posted, i must have been thinking on the right thing and will go back to that and have her work on those points.

The only thing i cannot visualize is the below statement, more so the feel of the hip pulling around. lead hip or back hip? i just wanna make sure where the feel is

- Now, use your low back, your mid back and most importantly your scap to resist any inward pressure. Feel like your hip is pulling around.

Thanks again, truly appreciate your input.

youre correct FB ! IR of the rear foot immediately pushes you into IR or opening the hips early. Really bad. It can be ok for a player with hyper hip mobility. Mostly though it’s bad.. what we want is ER of the rear leg/foot so we can stay closed longer. The rear leg should fight IR all the way into follow though. Evidence being the rear heel trying to stay down.

1590103170740.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
youre correct FB ! IR of the rear foot immediately pushes you into IR or opening the hips early. Really bad. It can be ok for a player with hyper hip mobility. Mostly though it’s bad.. what we want is ER of the rear leg/foot so we can stay closed longer. The rear leg should fight IR all the way into follow though. Evidence being the rear heel trying to stay down.

View attachment 17839
Thanks, i will take that into account when i am with DD next. thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478